potential buyer wants to view item first

Options
catalina66
catalina66 Posts: 653 Forumite
Hi :-)

I'm selling a home gym and fitness gear, due to health issues, and have 100% positive feedback. I've just received a request from someone, along with their phone number, asking if they can view.

I don't trust this. The photos clearly show the items in detail and very well taken care of. Nobody can be here with me, and I am wary that someone may not be genuine, after reading that I have ill health thus am selling the item. They have positive feedback, but I am unsure; have had bad experiences with buyers with lots of apparently good feedback (apparently people can ask to have negative feedback removed after a time?). The last thing I expected when listing was that Ebay would allow things to operate this way; I have ill health and just hoped for a nice straightforward sale. I know I'm honest, so hadn't thought there'd be more complications or being put under pressure to cope with visits and assessments. Takes a lot for me to deal with the day, never mind needing to tidy and deal with various visits about the item.

I'm of a mind to say there is no need to view, as the photos are so clear, although I don't like that at the same time that sounds like I'm hiding something; really am not. Would be grateful for advice.

Thanks, Cat

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gym equipment suggests heavy items and I would think that you are expecting the eventual buyer to collect , so why not allow them to view and that way you can arrange cash on the sale, rather than end up potentially with a winning bidder collecting and paying by paypal.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 4 October 2015 at 11:27PM
    Options
    Obviously when your gym equipment is sold to the highest bidder they will need to come round and collect it. I think you would be happier if you could get someone to be with you when they come and collect it.

Personally in the meantime I would not allow someone to come round just to view it especially if you have shown lots of pictures of the equipment in your listing.

Maybe you could respond to them by giving them more details of the equipment like the age of it, where it was purchased from, how much it would cost new and the model id number of it. Also tell them you will be putting a few more photos of it in your listing.

I personally would not allow anyone to collect anything I sold when I was on my own. It is always best to have someone with you I think.

Hope that is some help. Best of luck.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • PenguinOfDeath
    Options
    For a large item like that I would be keen to see it working before committing to it too, would you buy a car without test driving it first? You know you're honest, but a potential buyer may decide otherwise if a viewing is refused.

As soolin says, it could work out better that way anyway.
  • catalina66
    Options
    Just adding some info, as I think I've answered myself, lol, and incase is helpful to anyone else who finds this thread. Hadn't been able to find anything about this, but just managed to, and there seems to be a consensus I'm reading that says; intrusive, meet outside (impossible with a gym), good pics/descriptions should be enough, something about shill bidding and giving someone an advantage over other buyers. Also recommends blocking the person, as, on being refused, they may bid maliciously as retaliation.
  • catalina66
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    Gym equipment suggests heavy items and I would think that you are expecting the eventual buyer to collect , so why not allow them to view and that way you can arrange cash on the sale, rather than end up potentially with a winning bidder collecting and paying by paypal.

Thanks for your advice. I just feel that if someone has actually gone ahead and paid for it, without trying to be apparently a bit intrusive first, they're doing things the right way. I can't accept cash as I prefer to have backup via Paypal. Yes, it would be great if everyone was decent and I could go ahead and trust this automatically, but my gut says to be careful. Thanks again.
  • catalina66
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    Obviously when your gym equipment is sold to the highest bidder they will need to come round and collect it. I think you would be happier if you could get someone to be with you when they come and collect it.

Personally in the meantime I would not allow someone to come round just to view it especially if you have shown lots of pictures of the equipment in your listing.

Maybe you could respond to them by giving them more details of the equipment like the age of it, where it was purchased from, how much it would cost new and the model id number of it. Also tell them you will be putting a few more photos of it in your listing.

I personally would not allow anyone to collect anything I sold when I was on my own. It is always best to have someone with you I think.

Hope that is some help. Best of luck.

Edwink

Thank you for your advice and definitely agree that being on my own about this isn't wise. The photos I put up really were comprehensive, eg a close up showing how I'd cello-taped every single bolt and nut to the original piece of card, and packaged and labelled the two very large piles of fitments in envelopes. Every item is photographed in detail, which does make it more suspicious why they want to view. There's nothing further I can show them, honestly.

Very good idea about giving more details of the equipment. I'll include that in my response to them. Thanks!
  • catalina66
    Options
    For a large item like that I would be keen to see it working before committing to it too, would you buy a car without test driving it first? You know you're honest, but a potential buyer may decide otherwise if a viewing is refused.

As soolin says, it could work out better that way anyway.

Thanks and I understand your point. In an ideal world, I could accommodate someone by doing that, but there are just too many factors making this really stressful for me. And, yes, I'm certain of my own honesty, and understand someone else may doubt me, but I can't gamble my address/well being. Not nice feeling that someone will wrongly decide I'm maybe not honest if I refuse, as I just can't go into the reasons fully to them, in order for them to understand the refusal.
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    catalina66 wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice. I just feel that if someone has actually gone ahead and paid for it, without trying to be apparently a bit intrusive first, they're doing things the right way. I can't accept cash as I prefer to have backup via Paypal. Yes, it would be great if everyone was decent and I could go ahead and trust this automatically, but my gut says to be careful. Thanks again.

Are you expecting the buyer to collect?

If so Paypal is not a backup, it's a great risk. The buyer could claim item not received and as they collected you have no proof of delivery so they get a refund and your item.

If they're collecting accept cash only.
  • catalina66
    catalina66 Posts: 653 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2015 at 11:57PM
    Options
    Are you expecting the buyer to collect?

If so Paypal is not a backup, it's a great risk. The buyer could claim item not received and as they collected you have no proof of delivery so they get a refund and your item.

If they're collecting accept cash only.

Thank you for advice. Worrying. Unsure what to do, as I rarely sell on Ebay. Is there any safer and easier way to sell this item elsewhere? If I took a photo of them as they pay and remove the item would that be acceptable as proof? Really not happy if someone turns out to be really dodgy and they know my address, especially if they don't like me taking photos of them. Getting too complicated possibly, and risky. Thinking it might be better to stick some photos on Facebook, as I'm in a couple of groups and at least know people a little. That was going to be my 2nd option if Ebay didn't work out.
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    catalina66 wrote: »
    Thank you for advice. Worrying. Unsure what to do, as I rarely sell on Ebay. Is there any safer and easier way to sell this item elsewhere? If I took a photo of them as they pay and remove the item would that be acceptable as proof? Really not happy if someone turns out to be really dodgy and they know my address, especially if they don't like me taking photos of them. Getting too complicated possibly, and risky. Thinking it might be better to stick some photos on Facebook, as I'm in a couple of groups and at least know people a little.

No. Only acceptable proof is a tracking number that shows proof of delivery. The photo could be of anyone.

You have two options: Paypal and you arrange a courier or you accept cash on collection.

A courier probably won't be cheap for that and you'll have a lot of hassle packaging it safely.

Cash on collection means a stranger coming to collect.

Facebook and Gumtree are both options, but both will be cash on collection. Gumtree is going to be a stranger too. Facebook, depends how you advertise on there. Your wall to friends, a group with people you know or a local selling page which will have strangers on.

I understand your worry on collection. Chances are they'll be perfectly fine and it'll be sold as seen, cash in hand, no worries. However, no one can obviously guarantee that.

Have you not got a family member, friend or neighbour who can pop round so you're not alone while the buyer is round?

Sadly there's no really easy way to sell something like that as its size and weight make it near impossible to send.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure