Steps towards making the dream a reality...

Options

Comments

• niftythrifty33
    Options
    Any thoughts on the above?

I haven't done the usual budget of cash only this month so there's lots of transactions in the bank but the balance is okay.

We've had to pay out for some things to do with putting the house on the market (to do with previous building works) so I've had to dip into our savings.

Main focus for March is to stick to a cash budget of £130 per week. This also includes several parties so I will be baking and getting drink from L1dl.

My biggest pain is buying and making packed lunches and dinners cost too much so I will sit the squids down and see if they can come up with any alternatives.
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Our offer has been accepted as long as our house can sell. I'm not getting our hopes up as a cash buyer could come along tomorrow.

I would love to hear from anyone who's been in this position of wanting to pay off the mortgage early but having these plans waylaid by a new move & mortgage increase. I don't think anyone ready this diary lol, I will keep it up though as it really does help me to stay focussed.

Big spend today as Me & DH went out for his birthday and had a lush lunch Ooops! But I refrained from buying any clothes so that's good.

We've got a list of DIY jobs to do pretty quickly before any viewings so that will be an expense but I will try and keep it to a minimum.

And... I've finally bought stuff for packed lunches, the one thing I HATE doing but it's def' a money saver. Right, off to cook tea and do a meal plan...and DIY :(
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Congrats on having the offer accepted, here's hoping :T.

So, the trick will be to overpay without DH noticing :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    That's exactly right Gallygirl, I'm not sure how to do that? I said if we move I still want to concentrate on overpaying but he thinks this is mad as I'm sure he thinks this will mean living on dry bread and water!

I wonder what the average mortgage is for people on our kind of income, I'd be interested to know.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    That's exactly right Gallygirl, I'm not sure how to do that? I said if we move I still want to concentrate on overpaying but he thinks this is mad as I'm sure he thinks this will mean living on dry bread and water!
    Don't make a fuss about it, meal plan and cook from scratch to make the most of bargains then when you've knocked a load of time off the end date you can tell him :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    A new day...nothing is accomplished without hard work...my motto for today!

-Estate agents need to come back to take better photo's
    -Tidy whole of house and ban all teenagers from the house until it's sold (OK this is wishful thinking)
    -Get mortgage agreement agreed
    -Start on list of DIY which is HUGE!
    -Have a NSD unless it's DIY stuff
    -Make tea from scratch

Happy Tuesday everyone :)
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Motto for today...The rest of my life will be the best of my life. Happy Wednesday mortgage savers!

I'm helping a friend do some cleaning for a few pennies today so will put that in the pot. I've decided to save everything at the moment for fee's etc. incase we do move as sociltors/estate agents/land tax etc is really expensive. In fact I really don't know how they can justify it all for what they do??

House is tidy and we started on DIY. DH did some plastering and tidied the garden, I made and hung a roman blind and found some lovely new curtains for £15 (dog chewed the last pair).
    Today
    -Do a meal plan & food shop in L1dl, inc. food & drink for party this weekend
    -Paint bathroom and hang mirror
    -call mortgage application (forgot yesterday)
    -Do finances/spreadsheet/sort paperwork
    -Go for a run & eat well (no junk)

The light mornings are lovely aren't they :)
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Not been on here for a few days. Things are moving very quickly with the house stuff!!!

Within a couple of days we have had an offer for nearly the asking price. Now were unsure of the state of the one we're buying and have got a builder looking at it tomorrow before we pay for a proper survey.

I am still unsure about it all. Why is it, the older you get the more you think of the negatives and things that could go wrong? Like job loss, illness, etc etc. When we were younger we just jumped in head first and made things happen, and it always worked out.

I haven't managed to pay any off the mortgage lately but am being very frugal.

Main jobs to do over next week:
    -Plan & prepare for family party
    -Start selling on ebay (got loads)
    -Start going through kids clothes and take to charity
    -Finish off DIY jobs

Well, that's my moaning for the day :)
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Been a couple of very frugal days with eating stuff left over from last weekends party :T

Off shopping now but going to use cash left over from last week so nothing to come out of the bank.

Sorted kids clothes and have 3 bin bags for charity (lovely feeling)!

Need to plan food for this weekend as having a big family party, any ideas on what to do in the slow cooker for lots of people?

Will transfer spare cash into saving tonight as had to use £500 of it recently for building stuff. Also got 2 big expenses coming up so will put some by for that.
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    Another family party ticked off, just one more to go this weekend. We managed do the last one quite cheaply as we used leftover drink from last weeks party and just bought bits of food for buffet, also family bought lots of food which was great.

I'll be glad when all these big birthdays are over!!:j

Filled in spreadsheet this morning, balance at end of month is looking good:T I will transfer any leftover money into savings at end of month as we are £500 down on savings.

Checked T3xtbroker, only have 4 euros in there and need to get it to 10 euros before transfer. Also checked T0pcahsback and have £10 in there with £30 pending so will wait til they've all tracked. Any more ideas for a quick few quid now and then will be gratefully received.

Today's jobs:
    -have a NSD
    -Plant some spuds and salad
    -List 10 things on fleabay
    -start writing letters to old credit cards & loans for any money owed for late pmts/charges
    -call estate agents to finalise offer for our house
    -instruct a solicitor
    -walk to work, do not eat cake!, drink lots of water :)
    -make packed lunches
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport