HELP! Have cut back all I can but am still over-spending!

Options

Comments

• Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    After the pummelling S&S got on here yesterday it's a delight to have all the wonderful dfws helping out with the wine suggestions :j
    What a load of mean- hearted po- facedness there was on this thread before you lot piled in to lighten the atmosphere and shoo the nasties away.
    I don't know what it is but some peeps seem to like to give someone a kicking when they've asked for a bit of support. And have you noticed that as soon as one person starts it seems to encourage a pile more to weigh in with their size 11 boots.
    You're doing really well S&S, you have no debts, some savings and you've worked out you're overspending before it becomes a problem :A

Enjoy your Dom Perignon :T
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • tabby_cats_mum
    Options
    I've realised I don't have pet insurance however the money I've saved by not having it was spent on a bottle of Friexnet, special offer £5.99 in Morrisons!
    Every Penny's a Prisoner.
    Cash is king.
  • Broadwood
    Broadwood Posts: 706 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    My husband works away 1 night every week and we are about to make him a 'stock cupboard' so he isn't spending a fortune on the road, so I liked the response from the lorry driver. Mr S likes a 'fresh' orange juice in a plastic bottle if he travels early in a morning and we've found long-life one in a plastic bottle in our larger Tesco. At £2.49 for 6 it's not the cheapest option he could go for (eg cordial, water) but it still reduces by 50% what he was spending, and sometimes that is the steps you need to take to start off with.

Has Mr S tried the Lidl "fresh" orange juice (5 x 250ml packs) for 99p?

They are excellent - we keep a stock in the car for trips and holiday use.

Straw attached to each carton and they fit in vehicle drink holders too. :)
    Never trust a financial institution.

Still studying at the University of Life.
  • *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The cooking porridge with a candle gave me a good laugh :D It's like confessions of a DFW now.

SS have a think about starting a pressie cupboard for the kids parties. If you see a bargain buy a few and stash away so you are ready for them rather than having to pay full price, keep an eye out on the grabbit board on here too. I do the same sort of thing with food, stock up when things are on offer so hopefully I rarely have to pay full price for any of the branded things we like.

I don't know how much you shop online, but it is often worth signing up for one or two of the cashback sites too

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cashback-websites

Good luck and have to say well done for coming back after those initial replies x
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Broadwood wrote: »
    Has Mr S tried the Lidl "fresh" orange juice (5 x 250ml packs) for 99p?

They are excellent - we keep a stock in the car for trips and holiday use.

Straw attached to each carton and they fit in vehicle drink holders too. :)
    Thanks, but he likes to drink out of a plastic bottle (I suggested cartons to him!). They're a good idea for kids pack ups though at that price.:)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been to B&M Bargains, Aldi and FarmFoods today.

I was surprised (and ticked off as I'd already bought it!) to see certain prices. Cod in Butter Sauce for one....£3 at Tesco, £1.50 at FarmFoods (same make / same 4 pack size). Not my most favourite meal ever but a good cheap standby to have in the freezer. Add potatoes and veg and you can have a meal for 4 that only costs around £2 / £2.50 in total.

I spent £35 at Tesco yesterday and had 2 carrier bags (granted £6.29 of that was wine, but even so).

I spent £54 in Aldi today and had 7 carrier bags worth, including chicken (fresh and frozen), beef, sausages, cold meats etc. I also got shed loads of cheap veg there, I'm going to make loads of soup for the freezer.

I must do a once a week or once a fortnight trip further afield more regularly, it's worth the cost of petrol as long as it's a big shop.

I also bought 2 bottles of Aldi pear cider. :p 89p each. That's £8.07 I've spent on booze this week. I don't care, I don't do it every week. :D

OP...the good thing about shopping in Aldi/Lidl/FarmFoods and the like is that these places don't carry all sorts of stock like supermarkets do, so you're less likely to spend money on non food/perhaps non necessary 'bits'.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Broadwood
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Thanks, but he likes to drink out of a plastic bottle (I suggested cartons to him!). They're a good idea for kids pack ups though at that price.:)

Just a thought, but maybe you need to have a quiet word with Mr S and explain that his plastic bottles aren't really worth paying that much extra for compared with drinking out of plastic lined cartons?

I'm sure he will come round to your logic if you explain it to him carefully. :D

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 February 2013 at 4:55PM
    Options
    Broadwood wrote: »
    I'm sure he will come round to your logic if you explain it to him carefully. :D

Yeah Spendless...especially if you have help. :D

Bat_zpsf9fe8286.jpg

Can't you just snip the cartons and pour into the bottles? Or would that not be as cost effective. (I mean if it took more than one carton to fill a bottle.)
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Broadwood
    edited 9 February 2013 at 5:14PM
    Options
    CH27 wrote: »
    Did you hide the chocolate too?:p

That reminds me, we bought 10 of the Fin Carre Milk Chocolate (100g size) from Lidl this morning at 17p each. They are half their usual price today and tomorrow only.

We WILL make them last at least 10 days. :p

P.S. We also bought a box of 6 Cadbury Creme Eggs for £1.99p :o

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    Yeah Spendless...especially if you have help. :D

Bat_zpsf9fe8286.jpg

Can't you just snip the cartons and pour into the bottles? Or would that not be as cost effective. (I mean if it took more than one carton to fill a bottle.)
    This caused me to go look. They are 330ml, so no they wouldn't though maths not being my strong point I don't know which works out cheaper. I really don't mind though, he likes plastic bottles and this is cheaper than him calling at McD's to get one.

p.s- Is this a good time to mention my parents were subject to an arson attack whilst they were sleeping?:eek::p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure