Paragon ISA application problems

Options
Just tried to open a Paragon ISA account to transfer a maturing ISA.
Unbelievable problems which meant ringing them up 3 times.
couldn't download terms& condition etc , managed eventually as I couldn't carry on application without these.
Took over 15mins and finally a call to sort out various security/password problems, wouldn't accept different ones.told to do it in a very weird way for acceptance but could change it later.
Then after getting to the end and being accepted, find out that electronic checks didn't clear me so asks for certified copies of proof of identity.
So rang up to query and waiting for call back so staff can check on application, may just cancel this application as faffing about for nearly an hour had left me losing the will to live.
Probably look at Virgin now.
Have never been rejected for verification, and since my O.H. was also going to transfer to them, really not worth it.:(

Comments

• SallySunshine
    SallySunshine Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Update, Paragon rang me back, no reason to not allow electronic identity verification.

Very helpful staff but had to cancel application.

Opened Virgin 5yr ISA, filled in transfer form took about 5 mins for both myself and O.H. from start to finish.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    A five year fixed rate cash ISA at 1.75%

You must be confident that interest rates will stay ultra for a while? Not a bet I would take at all.

You must already have high interest current accounts paying 3% to 5% and plenty of regular savers paying 5% then?
  • SallySunshine
    Options
    Not a betting person, just wanted to transfer this spare cash to somewhere I can forget about for a while.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,622 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not a betting person, just wanted to transfer this spare cash to somewhere I can forget about for a while.

Did you consider a S&S ISA if you just want to leave the money and presumably have sufficient cash?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • SallySunshine
    edited 19 May 2017 at 7:07PM
    Options
    Thanks but I have no interest in S&S Isa's, this is purely last years ISA money, other ISA's have been transferred at a rate I am quite happy with.
    I posted the above to highlight the difficulties/conditions that some providers seem to put in place.
    some will do electronic checks immediately, other will wait until you've completed the application, then state if you do not pass their test you will need to send proof of identity.

If Virgin decide I will need to start sending in proof, which I have just found out after seemingly opened their account, i will cancel it and look again.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    If Virgin decide I will need to start sending in proof, which I have just found out after seemingly opened their account, i will cancel it and look again.
    Virgin (and other suppliers) have been known to require proof of identity on closure / withdrawal which can prove troublesome if you can't / won't provide such proof.

is the proof of identity a real problem or do you just "not want to"?
  • SallySunshine
    Options
    I have never, ever been asked for proof of identity, years ago when banking locally, before the internet we took proof into the bank/b.s.
    You'd think things have moved on.
    I have accounts, ISA's etc all over the place, have lived in the same property for over 10yrs etc.
    Once I queried who actually did the identity checks, apparently it depends which institutions use which verification companies and all are not equal.
    Why should you pass some checks and not others, doesn't make sense.
    No mortgage, no debts, perhaps I'm too clean!
    Really hacks me off.
    Funnily enough I had a Virgin account many years ago.
  • Chloe_G
    Chloe_G Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I had to send in certified copies for proof of identity to Paragon. Fortunately I already had these so I sent off a photocopy - I agree that getting them is a right pain and the people who have to sign them normally want payment. If I didn't already have certified copies in my possession, I too, would have cancelled my Paragon application.
  • SallySunshine
    Options
    I did go with Virgin, got right to the end of the application and filled in transfer for maturing ISA, both for my O.H and me, got e-mail saying it was open ,but if my ID didn't pass verification they would send forms to do so.
    Rang them to say when would I know, got told if I didn't hear from them in a few days I would be o.k.
    Staff were very helpful and did get a call which said I was verified, then my OH rang the next day and again he was verified.
    This seems to be a long winded and archaic system by Virgin especially when others can say yea or nay immediately.
    If I has to faff about I would have cancelled and just transferred to Coventry Easy Access until next tax year then moved it again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure