Interview under caution am really scared!

Options
1235»

Comments

• TheHoneyMonster
    Options
    ***UPDATE***

I attending this morning with my friend who came into the room with me for support. I was cautioned and interviewed by one person, it was recorded.

It was about my ex-partner (over 2 years since we split) staying over occasionally as someone had reported me for committing fraud. It seems they have some photographic evidence of him coming late in the evening and leaving in the morning, such evidence was a handful of photos taken over 2 visits, 2 weeks apart, hardly concrete proof we are in a relationship together!

I was prepared, having heard more gossip in the last 48 hours about who had reported me, so I was armed with paperwork.

I answered all their questions honestly and in detail, making it quite clear why my ex-partner had stayed on occasions because he had been spending time with his mum who was dying of cancer. I pointed out that he was a good father to our 3 children and often took them out for tea (without me present) and put them to bed.

It was all very formal if I am honest, I think the interviewer was a little shocked at how prepared I was, I submitted evidence of our separate financial history, proof of my tenancy, his property, wages, driving licences etc. My ex even managed to get a letter from his mother's GP, detailing she was terminal ill and expected to go into a hospice in the next few days and as her only son he wanted to remain as close as possible to help her.

I think the interviewer felt like a bit of a idiot at times.

I held nothing back, I even admitted I was in an early relationship with someone else, and explained how she was still living at home with her parents and we were taking things slowly. He didn't expect that, I also pointed out that the reason my relationship with my children's father ended was because I struggled with being in a relationship with him.

I also told him I was possibly aware who had reported me, but of course I had no proof since it was hearsay, but our volatile friendship when back to our primary school days!

Lasted just under an hour, and upon leaving I was told it was unlikely that it will be taken further given the evidence I have supplied, I should get a letter about the investigation shortly.

I had no tricks up my sleeve, I was just open and honest! I did ask was it illegal in any way for my children's father to occasionally stay over to see his children, to remain part of their lives etc.

Watch this space!
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Guest101 wrote: »
    It MAY harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something you later rely on in court.

Let's not miss out crucial words :)

Agreed. Which is why qualified legal advice is needed before going down the No comment route.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Well done HoneyMonster, hope your relationship with your ex can continue to be good for all of you
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It was about my ex-partner (over 2 years since we split) staying over occasionally as someone had reported me for committing fraud. It seems they have some photographic evidence of him coming late in the evening and leaving in the morning, such evidence was a handful of photos taken over 2 visits, 2 weeks apart, hardly concrete proof we are in a relationship together!
    Phew. Pleased to hear that things went well. I think you did right in aggressively controlling the information and being open about it.... I did similar and I think also the interviewer was a little taken aback. Probably they're used to the converse being true... trying to get blood out of a stone. Sounds like you did a great job of preparing for this and hopefully that's the end of the matter. I'd be inclined to play a little game with my suspected reporter if I were you... but then I'm a nasty pasty and I expect you are not..lol... so I would advise just leaving sleeping dogs to rest.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    No value in stirring the whatsit with you neighbour, just let it go. You, and the interviewer, know the reality so just a waiting game for the formal letter now. Hope all goes well for you in the future too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure