hargreaves and landsdown exit fee

Options
I am planning to transfer my small portfolio to Hargreaves and landsdown. The only thing I am skeptical about is the exit fee which i believe is £25.

My current provider is Halifax and they do not charge an exit fee. Is an exit fee normal? Is anyone else skeptical?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is an exit fee normal?

No. Most platforms dont charge on exit.
    Is anyone else skeptical?

No. its a factual charge that is in their published terms.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    w00519772 wrote: »
    I am planning to transfer my small portfolio to Hargreaves and landsdown.

What is the reason for your planned transfer?
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    What is the reason for your planned transfer?

1) access to more funds
    2) cheaper
    3) more comprehensive information
    Etc

Why do you ask?
  • colsten
    edited 1 September 2015 at 7:42PM
    Options
    1) access to more funds
    2) cheaper
    3) more comprehensive information
    Etc

Why do you ask?

Unless you want HL's own funds (not sure why anyone would), I can't see which funds you could buy at HL and not at Halifax?

How is HL cheaper than Halifax?

What information that you get as an HL customer is not available to you anyway, either on the HL website or other websites?

I asked because you appear to be the first person who wants to migrate to HL. I have only read from people who migrated away, and I am one of the ones who moved their ISA away from HL.
  • w00519772
    w00519772 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Unless you want HL's own funds (not sure why anyone would), I can't see which funds you could buy at HL and not at Halifax?

How is HL cheaper than Halifax?

What information that you get as an HL customer is not available to you anyway, either on the HL website or other websites?

I asked because you appear to be the first person who wants to migrate to HL. I have only read from people who migrated away, and I am one of the ones who moved their ISA away from HL.

Thanks. I am intrigued by this. Where did you migrate to?

Halifax only allow you to invest in their own funds. Hargreaves Landsdown allow you to invest in lots of funds from different providers. Hargreaves Landsdown were voted the best according to a few reviews I read.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    ............ and they are brilliant, but far from cheap.
  • colsten
    edited 1 September 2015 at 8:19PM
    Options
    Thanks. I am intrigued by this. Where did you migrate to?
    Halifax!! Halifax Sharedealing, to be precise. They do all the investments HL do, apart from the HL-own funds, obviously.
    Halifax only allow you to invest in their own funds.
    Whoever told you that was badly misinformed, see above.
    Hargreaves Landsdown allow you to invest in lots of funds from different providers. Hargreaves Landsdown were voted the best according to a few reviews I read.
    HL have a good website but they are generally a lot more expensive for the same investments than other platforms are.

If you are interested in the best platform deals, you can try these:
    http://www.comparefundplatforms.com/
    http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/
  • colsten
    Options
    le_loup wrote: »
    ............ and they are brilliant, but far from cheap.
    brilliant in what sense? and how much more brilliant than a cheaper alternative?
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am planning to transfer my small portfolio to Hargreaves and landsdown. The only thing I am skeptical about is the exit fee which i believe is £25.

My current provider is Halifax and they do not charge an exit fee. Is an exit fee normal? Is anyone else skeptical?

As others have said exit fees are not universal but nor are they unique to HL.

However from memory HL's exit charges can be considerably more than £25. They are something like £25 account closure plus £25 for transferring out cash plus £25 per stock transferred. So if you had 10 separate investments you could be looking at exit charges of £300.

In my view you are right to be suspicious of a firm with such high exit charges. I would invest with a company that was confident its ongoing service was good enough to retain its customers rather than using high exit charges to prevent customers leaving.

Also HL have, in the not too distant past, increased their ongoing charges for some customer very substantially yet still levied its exit charges when those adversely affected customers wished to exit solely to avoid the charge increases.

So remember if HL increases its charges and you wish to transfer to a cheaper alternative it may be an expensive transfer process.

If your portfolio is small in size then HL's ongoing fees may not be too onerous. However if your funds ever become sizable then there are much cheaper alternatives. But again it may be expensive transferring to a cheaper alternative because of the exit fees.
  • Mistermeaner
    Options
    Just my 2 pennies and no axe to grind but after a bit of research I went with charles stanley direct and have been very pleased with all aspects of service,cost, website and phone support. Minimal effort required once regular investments are set up
    Left is never right but I always am.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport