Update! Santander First Home Saver Account: 5% on up to 50k savings (up to 35 only)

Options

Comments

• afmfifgh
    afmfifgh Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As I understand it as you have said you should in theory arrange a mortgage advice meeting. You are however under no obligation to take a mortgage out with them. So to play it by the book you should go into your branch explain you want to close the account and as such need to arrange a meeting and state you have no intention to take out a mortgage.

They are you would assume going to say not to worry and we will just close the account. As such you have meet the terms laid out when opening the account.
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    I think I remember reading that Santander has now got rid of the requirement to have a mortgage interview. Perhaps in response to low uptake.
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    I would keep it open if at all possible - it's a risk-free (or to more correct, 'extremely low-risk') 5% instant access which is (I believe) impossible to beat currently. Or does the account not allow partial withdrawals? I can't remember.
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 February 2012 at 5:55PM
    Options
    atypical wrote: »
    I think I remember reading that Santander has now got rid of the requirement to have a mortgage interview. Perhaps in response to low uptake.
    Yup. They also sent out some paperwork to account holders saying they were removing the Mortgage Advisor meeting requirement.

Section 5 here - http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/StaticBS?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1223416979355&cachecontrol=immediate&ssbinary=true&maxage=3600
  • bongoali
    Options
    Yup. They also sent out some paperwork to account holders saying they were removing the Mortgage Advisor meeting requirement.

Section 5 here - http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/StaticBS?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1223416979355&cachecontrol=immediate&ssbinary=true&maxage=3600

wow fishbulb where do you find all these links?!? Thanks
  • mr_fishbulb
    mr_fishbulb Posts: 5,224 Forumite
    Options
    bongoali wrote: »
    wow fishbulb where do you find all these links?!? Thanks
    I just remembered I was sent something by Santander so did a google search :)
  • user123123
    Options
    I have held one of these accounts for a couple of years now, and I pay the £300 by monthly standing order. For some reason, my payment this month was returned immediately by Santander, even though I have not changed any of the standing order details. Is this likely to mean that my account has closed? I'm travelling at the moment, so I'm not sure whether I have received any mail from them about this.
  • Eponym
    Eponym Posts: 303 Forumite
    Options
    user123123 wrote: »
    I have held one of these accounts for a couple of years now, and I pay the £300 by monthly standing order. For some reason, my payment this month was returned immediately by Santander, even though I have not changed any of the standing order details. Is this likely to mean that my account has closed? I'm travelling at the moment, so I'm not sure whether I have received any mail from them about this.

Sounds like a mistake to me. I haven't had any letters about them closing the account or anything.
  • user123123
    Options
    user123123 wrote: »

All is well. Apparently Santander were unable to accept standing orders towards the end of last week.
  • pazza2000
    Options
    I also had my SO rejected this month, inline with the above comments. Good thing I caught it as I would have hated to have missed out on 1 months interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure