Buyer on eBay behaving very strangely

Options

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    spacey2012 wrote: »
    Dear E-bayer, the box you sent was empty.
    Cruel yes I know, but so is trying it on.

Sorry, but why are you suggesting this- we are not all crooked you know.

Please keep these 'suggestions' to yourself.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Op did you resolve your problem?
    I think I'd probably go with what someone suggested before the "partial refund" because this is an option ebay give. I'd send the buyer a message saying the item was received by you in full working order, and showing signs of extensive use, and say they can arrange collection for the item, pay you postage fees to send it back or as a gesture of good will offer them a partial refund. Take off any fees to you so you don't end up out of pocket
    You can always relist it if they go for the partial refund...
    I know you say you don't want to use ebay again but honestly since last summer I have sold over 100 items and have only ever had 2 problems, one took agesss to pay, other deleted their account so not really proper problems. You were probably just unlucky this time...
    x
    I hope you know your capable, & brave, & significant.
    even when it feels like your not....
  • Miskate
    Miskate Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for all your helpful responses.
    The buyer didn't say anything for a week, and then today asked me why I had not opened a dispute yet.

This was their reply:
    You never said that I had to open a dispute - you said that you had been advised by ebay to open one. I have no intention of opening a dispute and require a refund immediately.

Please note that I am not disputing anything. It is clear to me that the kindle was not fit for purpose. If you dispute that - which you apparently do, then you should have opened a dispute - which you said you were going to do.

I have replied saying that they need to open the dispute, as they are the ones who are disputing something.

If you can follow that then I am very impressed.
    I am awaiting their response. Right now I'm leaning towards suggesting they give me postage and I send it back, or I give them a partial refund. They bought the Kindle for £82, inclusive of £8.20 p&P. I've also been charged by eBay for some sellers fees, approx £11. So, what do you suggest as a fair partial refund?
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    Miskate wrote: »
    So, what do you suggest as a fair partial refund?

Zero

Tell the buyer if they do not arrange collection of their item from you within 7 days, you will donate if to a local charity shop after a further 30 days.

The buyer had lied to you, used the item and it is clearly in good working order.

Do not reward this in any shape or form.

You could be very cheeky and invoice THEM for the 5 week rental that had of it for you :)

I know I may seem harsh, but it really annoys me that some buyers expect private sellers to go over and above even what Amazon - the manufacturer! - would do. This is a change of mind return - as a seller you do not need to accept this back.

(I had someone buy a camera from me, take it to Africa for a 6 week safari, and then say they didn't like it and tried to return it) - their Flickr was FULL of safari pics with the serial number of the camera they used embedded in the EXIF! - so I have zero tolerance for anyone using Ebay for free rentals or tryouts.)
  • nikkit72
    nikkit72 Posts: 2,458 Forumite
    Options
    Just ignore buyer, he has blatantly lied, it's past 45 days, they can do nothing,
    Just block the guy, and ignore all emails.
    Dont forget that little Thanks button , only takes a sec
  • chancesare_2
    chancesare_2 Posts: 1,788 Forumite
    Options
    nikkit72 wrote: »
    Just ignore buyer, he has blatantly lied, it's past 45 days, they can do nothing,
    Just block the guy, and ignore all emails.

They have the potential to chargeback for 180 days.
  • nikkit72
    nikkit72 Posts: 2,458 Forumite
    Options
    By the sounds of this buyer he doesn't know this,
    Dont forget that little Thanks button , only takes a sec
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe they got one from someone else for Christmas and like the new one better after trying it out for a few weeks.

Well they now cannot open a dispute. Presumably they will realise this if they try and contact you again. Whatever you do give them a deadline otherwise this will be rumbling on for weeks. If they don't respond, make a decision for them. whatever is most favourable for you.
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
  • Miskate
    Miskate Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Taadaa wrote: »
    Maybe they got one from someone else for Christmas and like the new one better after trying it out for a few weeks.

Well they now cannot open a dispute. Presumably they will realise this if they try and contact you again. Whatever you do give them a deadline otherwise this will be rumbling on for weeks. If they don't respond, make a decision for them. whatever is most favourable for you.

Yes, I think that's exactly what happened.
    Still no response from the buyer, so I'm not sure whether to contact them again, giving them a choice? What would you say?
    I'm worried that if I do return the Kindle, they might say that it was never received or deliberately break it and say that it's not working.
  • RainbowDrops
    RainbowDrops Posts: 4,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't fuel them by contacting them, the ball is in their court so if they want to persue, they should contact you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure