I keep getting fake Amazon emails

Options
Hi I;m not sure how to go about this, but I keep getting fake emails from Amazon saying I've ordered items and they will be delivered to someone elses address.

Not to be rude, but the shipping address always has an African looking name on it. I've not replied back on the email, but checked my account and it say's nothing have been ordered.

Is this a well known scam going around? And how do I report it to Amazon?
It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didn’t. :EasterBun

Comments

• twhitehousescat
    Options
    and does the email have a link for you to log on at amazon?
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,613 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes there are a lot going around. Not worth reporting to Amazon. I'm sure they are aware, but there is nothing they can do about it.
    Don't reply to the emails, just delete them. I never click on links in Amazon emails, even if they refer to an order I know I placed. I only go to the amazon site through a link in my bookmarks.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• yvonne13_2
    yvonne13_2 Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    and does the email have a link for you to log on at amazon?
    The email says if I haven't ordered anything i should click on a link to get a refund.

I haven't clicked on the link, but I do find the email odd as it does'nt call me by my name. I calls me by my email adress.
    It's better to regret something I did do than to regret something that I didn’t. :EasterBun
  • smudger1964
    Options
    Think we all get them and from paypal and any bank you care to mention..like the previous poster said just delete them and forget about it..
    dont even get me started on the phone calls I keep getting from whoever saying there is a problem with my internet but the best thing about those you can waste 20 minutes of their time saves them bothering a vulnerable person for at least 20 minutes anyway
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    yvonne13 wrote: »
    The email says if I haven't ordered anything i should click on a link to get a refund.

I haven't clicked on the link, but I do find the email odd as it does'nt call me by my name. I calls me by my email adress.

DO NOT click anything, it will ask for card/bank details then strip/clone {CC/bank} }. Amazon will NEVER ask for your detail to refund.

IT IS ONE OF THE NEW SCAMS DOING THE AMAZON ROUNDS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just mark the email address as spam, you'll never be bothered again.
  • SouthUKMan
    Options
    These are phishing emails. They are designed by scammers to appear like they come from Amazon, when of course they don't. The scammers copy the look of a genuine Amazon email. However as already mentioned above the email will contain a link that will allow unsuspecting / stupid / greedy people to enter their bank card details - under the premise that they will be offered a refund. These scam emails work on two levels. One, Amazon is the biggest online marketplace. So by faking an Amazon account they are maximising their 'hit success rate'. Two, people are naturally greedy and stupid. If they think there is some free money to be had, they will risk it. Usually the amount 'on offer' is big enough to make it seem real and worthwhile, but not too big so that it is unbelievable. Also worth mentioning it is best to not even open the email in the first place, as by doing so the scammer / sender can see the email has been read - proving your email account is active. In turn this can make you prone to further scam email.
  • davietich
    Options
    I had an email from Amazon this morning at 11.17am confirming that I had changed my email address which I had not !! so went on to my Amazon account via browser to find it actually had been changed by one letter. I immediately changed it back and changed my password as well but when checking my order's I found that there was an order for some obscure item( which I for not make) for over 150 pounds made at exactly the same time as my email address changed.
    Have contacted Amazon and they have escalated it and cancelled order but I dont know how someone was able to access my account and changed my personal log in details as I am the only one that knows password. Amazon claim they have no breach at their end & claimed they did not send me the email!
    Anyone had anything similar happen or can shed some light on this?
    I have also removed my payment card from my Amazon account meantime.
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 November 2017 at 4:35PM
    Options
    davietich wrote: »
    ...I dont know how someone was able to access my account and changed my personal log in details as I am the only one that knows password. ...

Easy to guess password containing dictionary word(s), same password used at another site, ...
  • A.Penny.Saved
    Options
    Use a strong password and not something which is memorable. Then use a free password manager to login.

I do get some amazon emails but not to my amazon email address. They usually say that the item that I ordered cannot be delivered, click the link to get a refund or something like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure