Options

Comments

• Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 February 2018 at 7:06PM
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    Does anyone know the most efficient way to close those account ?
    Is there any way to close those account without the need to go into Branch ??

Thanks
    Assume you've looked at the T&Cs - these are for the latest in Store RS:

You can have access to your money whenever you need it. To request a withdrawal simply send your written instructions to Savings Operations, Virgin Money, Jubilee House, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 4PL or you can take money out in the following ways:
    Cash – Store** only.
    Cheque – simply complete a Transaction Slip and a cheque will be sent promptly to your correspondence address.
    Electronic transfer.
    CHAPS.
    Transfer to another Virgin Money account, subject to the terms and conditions of that account.

I have just spoken to someone at Virgin Money and advised them that the Key product information leaflet details for withdrawal, as above, is unclear.

The use of the word or in the information implies that you can get your money out via electronic transfer rather than a letter, but not, as the adviser told me, that the electronic transfer has to be requested at the branch.

He told me he would pass this back to be looked at.

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I feel quite lucky to have a store within easy striking distance :)
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Just got back from the store. Had to provide identity for Faster Payment process. (as if passbook, Virgin letter and debit card for the receiving account weren't enough.)
    Money received OK. Can't recall other settlements being so unclear.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was told I can either write a letter or close in Branch, annoyingly I was there a week ago to open Branch 9, I was only allowed to get £2000.00 in cash the rest was transferred via faster payment.

So you have been told right, you can use electronic payment but this is initiated in branch. I asked if I could ring up and do it over the phone, as I use crutches and struggling to walk around atm, but was told it was branch in person or letter.

As I wanted the funds to be able to fund issue 9, I made a trip into Brighton to get my cash/faster payment, although I didn't get any closing interest as this only appears over night, so will sort that out when Issue 3 matures, or I am back in branch for issue 10, (which ever comes first)

Roll on 20th for Online Issue 3 to mature.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • skitskut
    skitskut Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    Is the Faster Payment (FPO) from BM to other current A/C instant or at least same day if you request the transfer in the morning ??

I've requested one before in the morning, it was same day but didn't arrive until about 5 or 6 in the evening.
  • JamesRobinson48
    Options
    PRINCIPALITY BUILDING SOCIETY NEW RS ISSUE

The Principality BS has just released its new RS, Issue 18. Terms seem to replicate Issue 17: 2.00% fixed, 12 months term, max £500 per month. It is allowed to hold and contribute to both Issue 17 & 18 at the same time.

I know that some respected and esteemed contributors to this thread are not keen on a 2.00% RS, given higher rates available from various other providers. But I currently have quite a lot of monthly cash flow needing a shelter, and I've got the full set of Virgins and similar. So personally I'm content to grab 2.00% for a one year fix from any and every building society that offers it. When something better comes along I'll probably go for that too.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    I was told I can either write a letter or close in Branch, annoyingly I was there a week ago to open Branch 9, I was only allowed to get £2000.00 in cash the rest was transferred via faster payment.
    I asked them to do internal transfers from Issue 2 to all the other store-based accounts and then took the rest of the balance as a cheque and paid that in elsewhere straight away. I would have taken the balance as a FP, but the system apparently won't allow that the same day as internal transfers. If your store deals with cash then the internal transfers plus a cash withdrawal might be the most efficient way to do it.
    Westie983 wrote: »
    As I wanted the funds to be able to fund issue 9, I made a trip into Brighton to get my cash/faster payment, although I didn't get any closing interest as this only appears over night, so will sort that out when Issue 3 matures, or I am back in branch for issue 10, (which ever comes first)
    Don't forget the Matchday version matures 1st March - you could be heading back to the branch sooner than you thought :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    PRINCIPALITY BUILDING SOCIETY NEW RS ISSUE

The Principality BS has just released its new RS, Issue 18. Terms seem to replicate Issue 17: 2.00% fixed, 12 months term, max £500 per month. It is allowed to hold and contribute to both Issue 17 & 18 at the same time.

I know that some respected and esteemed contributors to this thread are not keen on a 2.00% RS, given higher rates available from various other providers. But I currently have quite a lot of monthly cash flow needing a shelter, and I've got the full set of Virgins and similar. So personally I'm content to grab 2.00% for a one year fix from any and every building society that offers it. When something better comes along I'll probably go for that too.

Does anyone think that it is possible to have both 17 and 18 and also the Member Only Regular Saver Bond 4% account - I will be on my 2nd year in a few months time and there is a branch in Chester (its branch opening) ... The worrying line "one bond only per person" is amongst the rules and regs ...
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mhoc wrote: »
    Does anyone think that it is possible to have both 17 and 18 and also the Member Only Regular Saver Bond 4% account - I will be on my 2nd year in a few months time and there is a branch in Chester (its branch opening) ... The worrying line "one bond only per person" is amongst the rules and regs ...
    Yes I reckon it is possible to have all three. The terms look to be specific to each issue of the bonds. I definitely would not question Principality about it in case they seek to further clarify it, thus causing you some disadvantage. Sometimes it's best to say nowt and see what happens. At worse they'll close any account you try to open when not entitled to. But in this particular instance you could reasonably argue ambiguity in the terms.
  • jimbow25
    jimbow25 Posts: 351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    HSBC Regular Saver

Interest rate: 5% gross p.a. fixed rate but only available if you have a HSBC Premier or Advance account
    Monthly payment: £25-£250
    Miss any payments: Yes, you can cancel and resume your standing order whenever you wish
    Penalty-free withdrawals: No, but you can close the account early (with interest paid at a lower rate for the entire term - paid at the standard Flexible Saver interest rate)
    Age of applicant: Same age as whichever current account is opened at the same time (which is age 16, 17 or 18 depending on the current account chosen)
    How to open account: In branch, online or telephone
    Special conditions: Must hold a current account with HSBC and the standing order must come from that account. If you pay in less than £250 per month then you can make up the extra amount in future months - your maximum balance goes up by £250 per month. For a version of this account which requires a current account that does not have a fee, see below. You may also have difficulty opening this account if you do not have a regular income - see page 85 of this thread. Advance account now available free of charge - see post 2895.
    I opened this account a year ago today.
    I logged on today and can see the interest has been added and the new interest rate is 0.1%. However the account is still called PREF REG SAV and the system blocks my attempts to open a new regular saver because I "already have one".

I spoke to both web and telephone customer services and they said I have to wait up to 5 working days for the system to cease to recognise it as a regular saver before the system will allow me to open a new one. Has anyone else encountered this issue or know of a resolution?
    I can see that this "works" for the First Direct saver as per Special Saver's post so I'm a bit surprised it doesn't here. Also frustrating as the refusal message says you can open a new one "on or after maturity date". and, I wanted to keep the same anniversary date ideally.

Thanks for the continuing updates to this excellent thread. Ten or so years and going strong! Even if regular savers are not what they once were.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure