MHOWARD_2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2017 at 2:13PM
    Options
    Deleted, thought better of it!
  • Rejast
    Rejast Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've read through this and I think the outcome was predictable from the first post. I don't think the OP wanted anything other than confirmation that splitting was the way to go. they failed to give any information which would enable anyone to give any specific advice to help them cope together.
    I do however think that it is so unfair that there is a situation where people are better off apart than together.
    I've done the sums myself a few times (as I thought that some people's assessments of what I would get were exaggerated) my partner and I living together get no help and pay back some child benefit. If we were to split and for arguments sake we both lived in a house each with the bills the same as the joint one I would have double ish my current income and he would only be down about a £1000 pounds a year and that's with him paying me maintenance.
  • latest_flame
    Options
    Think it was quite clear, your ignorant saying you couldn't understand.
    Irony.
    Well done.
  • Loz01
    Loz01 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So what happens now, you wait a few months in a new place then get back together??? Sorry but thats a swindle IMO.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Splitting up so that one partner usually the wife gets all the benefits and the husband doesn't have to contribute is quite common where I live. It is all a big fiddle on the benefits. Been going on for years.
  • latest_flame
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Splitting up so that one partner usually the wife gets all the benefits and the husband doesn't have to contribute is quite common where I live. It is all a big fiddle on the benefits. Been going on for years.
    I assume you mean "the UK" its all over, one huge con.
  • just_trying
    just_trying Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Irony.
    Well done.
    Whatever, think I was clear. With regards to what had been said.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    What struck me about this thread was that it was all about you. Not once have you mentioned how your partner feels.

You are in a council house, he's homeless, he's taken on the debt.

He'll presumably be going into a private let.

The comments you made about him not being able to support you! He was working 45 hours a week. The main problem was that your rent was half of his income.

You love someone so much you split up with them for financial reasons leaving them homeless!

And he'll now have to pay maintenance for the kids now you've split. Plus rent on a new flat and the debt!

Words fail me. You're better off but he won't be will he?
  • Tommo1980
    Tommo1980 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    Probably better off without the OP! Plenty more fish in the sea.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    I bet the op didn't tell the council that she deliberately ended her relationship to claim benefits and get a council house

Just shocking. And if the op is better off financially now the very least she should be doing is paying some of the debt back.

I have no issue with people claiming their benefit entitlement.

As for playing the I have anxiety and depression card so do many people. Myself included. I still wouldn't treat another human being like this.

Talk about selfish..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport