JSA Sanction - What to do now??

Options

Comments

• donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morlock wrote: »
    Section 102 of the Welfare Reform Act 2012 is putting an end to that loophole. It effectively introduces a mandatory reconsideration of revision before appeal. The government are yet to decide whether to continue benefit payments during that reconsideration period, as is currently the case pending an appeal.
    in the case i mentioned the sanction was applied before the person had a chance to get their appeal started. so they were appealing while already getting no money. they obviously got it all back when they won.
  • andyneuag
    Options
    laurac242 wrote: »
    Im hoping someone on here will be able to give me some advice. I have been recieving JSA for about 18 months. The jobcentre sent me to a work focused training programme which I have been attending. I recieved a sanction due to non attendance. The sanction was for 2 weeks. I took every letter that I had recieved into the job centre which showed every appointment I had attended but was told i had still missed some. The sanction was then lifted and 2 weeks later I was sanctioned again for a month. The training provider told the job centre that I was not attending appointments even though I had signed in every time I had attended. Again, they said I had missed some that they had booked.
    As soon as this sanction was up, they immediately hit me with a 6 month sanction for exactly the same thing, despite the fact that every appointment I recieved, I attended. The job centre said it was basically my word against the training providers as they were saying I had not attended every one.
    I have appealed against the decision and have lost the case. I have had no money at all since the beginning of June and my next pay is looking to be the middle of December.
    I have applied for crisis loans, budgeting loan and hardship payments, all of which have been refused.
    I have spoken to Citizens Advice but they had no real advice to give me. Surely they cannot expect me to survive for so long on nothing. I am still signing every 2 weeks and still attending the training programme. I just dont know what to do now. I cant go on like this much longer. I have told the job centre so many times that I need help or advice and their stock answer is "You are on a sanction, we cant do anything".
    I am still recieving housing benefit which is great but have no way of getting food or topping up the utilities. Beyond stressed now. Any advice much appreciated :)
    go online and search for boycottworkfare - lots of advice and support out there.
  • Sentinelred
    Options
    Given the level of stress that this situation ( if it is still ongoing) is likely to be putting you under, I would ask a question- are you, given that you have no income, are presumably without basic utilities such as being able to heat light and cook in your home in the midst of november, in a fit condition to be expected to work? If you are not, a visit to the doctor can start the process of an ESA claim, whihc has be be paid in the assessment period, which can take months. This would buy you time to fight for the backdated JSA and at least give you some income in the meantime.

I don't actually see how the powers that be actually think people can survive so long with no income at all- for anyone living alone these sanctions could be a death sentence once the food, electricity and gas have gone. I thought there had been a High Court ruling declaring these sanctions illegal earlier on in the year....
  • donnajunkie
    Options
    Given the level of stress that this situation ( if it is still ongoing) is likely to be putting you under, I would ask a question- are you, given that you have no income, are presumably without basic utilities such as being able to heat light and cook in your home in the midst of november, in a fit condition to be expected to work? If you are not, a visit to the doctor can start the process of an ESA claim, whihc has be be paid in the assessment period, which can take months. This would buy you time to fight for the backdated JSA and at least give you some income in the meantime.

I don't actually see how the powers that be actually think people can survive so long with no income at all- for anyone living alone these sanctions could be a death sentence once the food, electricity and gas have gone. I thought there had been a High Court ruling declaring these sanctions illegal earlier on in the year....
    can people start an esa claim during a sanctioned period? if the claim is successful is the sanction forgotten about?
  • michelleward84
    Options
    my partner has recently been sanctioned because he didnt apply for a job because he had finally found one got told by the new employer he would start on the 15th of september he rang his new only to be told there wasnt enough hours for him because he didnt apply for job at the jbcenter we have been sanctioned we have asked for a reconcideration and i have contacted my mp ,this sytem sucks
  • miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    Options
    my partner has recently been sanctioned because he didnt apply for a job because he had finally found one got told by the new employer he would start on the 15th of september he rang his new only to be told there wasnt enough hours for him because he didnt apply for job at the jbcenter we have been sanctioned we have asked for a reconcideration and i have contacted my mp ,this sytem sucks

You might want to add some punctuation to your post - it makes little sense without it.
  • dktreesea
    dktreesea Posts: 5,736 Forumite
    Options
    Cautionary words for people who deal with the job centre and their workfare (scoundrels) partners. I have a friend who openly photographs the book when she signs in because the place where she signs in won't give her documentary proof of her attendance.

Would Citizens Advice Bureau be of any help in this situation?

For foodbank assistance you might need to go through social services at your local council. If they refuse to give you a referral, ask the person's name and for advice of the refusal in writing - better still send your request for a referral in writing, preferably email backed uup by a letter hand delivered and get them to stamp a copy of it and return the copy of it to you as proof of receipt by them.
  • Charityworker
    Options
    Problem is that a lot of these government agencies employees are worried about staff cuts. So instead of doing nothing in a quiet moment they look round for something to do to make themselves look busy. So in other words they look around saying "who's life can I make a misery today?". Its like a control freak thing, knowing they are totally in control of your whole life. It makes them feel like god. That's why you get housing benefit letters out of the blue asking for random info.

I don't know how the people who do these jobs sleep at night. One click of their mouse puts you and your kids in poverty. How do they live with themselves?
  • donnajunkie
    edited 11 November 2012 at 6:41PM
    Options
    Problem is that a lot of these government agencies employees are worried about staff cuts. So instead of doing nothing in a quiet moment they look round for something to do to make themselves look busy. So in other words they look around saying "who's life can I make a misery today?". Its like a control freak thing, knowing they are totally in control of your whole life. It makes them feel like god. That's why you get housing benefit letters out of the blue asking for random info.

I don't know how the people who do these jobs sleep at night. One click of their mouse puts you and your kids in poverty. How do they live with themselves?
    yeah, they will hide behind the but its my job excuse. you feel like saying only you and the person responsible knows of their failing and you also know its out of order if they get sanctioned for it. so why not just pretend you never found out.
    a local provider of the work programme here recently decided to assume the new longer sanctions are an excuse to say we have to get tougher with you. that of course is rubbish. anyhow one advisor claimed that if they call you and dont get through to you that means you arent available for work and you will be sanctioned. i just thought if you call someone and they dont answer only you know that they didnt answer. so they can do the decent thing and not refer them for a sanction.
  • ArtoDeeto
    Options
    So you are saying hand on heart you went to all appointments AND signed but the trainer says you didn't? Ask for a copy of your attendance register under the Data Protection Act (as said above). When it shows you have signed against every appointment it's a no brainer. Is this the Work Programme provider you are talking about? (it's two years not one)
    You SHOULD be asked to sign for every appointment notification you get, if you did and forgot etc you are up a gum tree. The fact they say 'some' rather the 'one' makes it sound like they are pretty sure they can back it up.
    If they were just posting appointments rather then getting you to sign for them it's a bit less open and shut.

Out of interest what was their reason for turning you down for a Hardship Payment? Do you rent your own place? Do you have kids?
    dktreesea wrote: »
    Cautionary words for people who deal with the job centre and their workfare (scoundrels) partners. I have a friend who openly photographs the book when she signs in because the place where she signs in won't give her documentary proof of her attendance.
    You wouldn't get paid if you didn't sign so that is the proof in itself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure