PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I dont know whether to be pleased or mad!!

Options
Went to Makro tonight. My vacuum had packed in, and i needed a new one. We put the vacuum in the trolley and headed off to the checkout via the food section.

Other half took an interest in the meat and before i knew it he was throwing in allsorts. Only the best stuff, smoked salmon, chicken breasts, frying steaks, pork loins, the leanest cuts of lamb, seafood, top quality bacon and sausage. 'You depressed or have you got something to tell me?' i asked him as he was chucking the stuff in. God knows where i am going to put it all and all these premium cuts are a waste of money i thought as we headed to the checkout.

Part of me was pleased, as i dont have to buy the meat this week (he gives me £100 to buy the shopping with each week). Part of me was a bit naffed off as it was a bit like the two finger salute to my efforts as budgeting. Anyway, he paid for the vacuum and the meat and headed to the door. 'Of course you wont be expecting the normal housekeeping' he said. (I was hoping to buy myself some new jeans this week with what i had left over.:mad: )

I give up!! (for now)

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No - tell him you'll need more. With all those premium cuts of meat, you can't POSSIBLY be expected to serve it all up with cheapo veggies/value rice etc.:D I'm sure you'll be able to hide the jeans amongst the really expensive asparagus tips.:rolleyes:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LOL. Good idea Ticklemouse :D Those cook in sauces cost a bomb these days eh?;)
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If he gives you £100 a week for shopping and you follow all the tips on here you should have enough for a pair of jeans every week ;)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • System
    Options
    glad wrote:
    If he gives you £100 a week for shopping and you follow all the tips on here you should have enough for a pair of jeans every week ;)

Well i do buy my own clothes out of it, i also pay for my sons dinner money and bus fare, but i admit, i do manage to save some each week. Yeah i am lucky he is generous.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Just serve him the meats ... no veggies, no rice, no potatoes (unless you have some extra special mash you've made ready to impress) ... after all, he's already spent the money for *those*items just on meats ... then, you can use the veggie/fruit/spud money towards your jeans :D

"Of course darling, you wont be expecting the normal meat and two veg'

Alternatively, serve him meat and a pair of your jeans on his dinner plate ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I hope he's going to give you something or else he'll be living on the Atkins Diet all week :D

Mine doesn't exactly like being placed on a budget and yet again last night I had to give him money out of the housekeeping so he could stop for a drink last night (it was either give him a fiver from the housekeeping or him take a tenner from the cash machine).

We had a break through moment last night though, I told him that I was trying to save to buy a really good mattress, he knows I have been waking up in pain every morning, it takes until lunchtime before my back and neck have eased up enough for me to do anything. As soon as he knew there was a point to my scrimping he had the lightbulb moment.

Although I think we may have a problem next month when it's my 40th birthday, he seems to think I should have a special present :(
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Moggins

If he wants to give you a special present then could you think of something that will save you money in the long run?

Like a slow cooker - bread maker - etc. If you can think of something then do not say it will save money - make out it is a big extravagance and you would be so thrilled etc!!!!

At least that way it would be something that will help your long term aims.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £100 a week...! How many are you feeding on that??

Never mind the jeans, that's one tailor-made suit a month for me!!
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am trying, honest, he moaned on mothers day because I had asked for a four pronged digger from Wilkinsons priced at £4.99.

He supplemented it with 2 DVD's and a box of chocolates!!

Years ago before my aims in life changed I threatened him with instant death if he bought me anything for the house as a present. I did manage to get my breadmaker out of him last christmas though.

This year all I want is a decent blender to make soup and a pasta machine which is £12.99 in Argos. He doesn't think either of those is an appropriate 40th present :(

He's already moaning because I don't want a party, to be honest all I want is to curl up in bed all day and hide under the duvet, wondering where the last 40 years have gone.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • System
    Options
    £100 a week...! How many are you feeding on that??

Never mind the jeans, that's one tailor-made suit a month for me!!

LOL I have 5 hungry mouths to feed. Three adults, a 15 year old lad and a 9 year old.

I have cut the meat/fish down into managable portions, and have frozen it all. I have so much fish we will be eating it for a year. :( I am waiting for MrTesco, and i dont think i will be able to get my frozen stuff in the freezer.:mad:

I did try explaining this to him last night.:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport