MoneySaving Poll: Should Sunday be like any other shopping day?

Options
Poll started 7 March 2016

Should Sunday be like any other shopping day?

During the 2012 Olympics, retailers were given extended Sunday opening hours, and it boosted the economy.

George Osborne is now considering permanent changes to Sunday trading laws, with supermarkets and big retailers potentially being allowed extended opening hours – Parliament will debate this on Wednesday.

Of course for stores to be open, someone has to work there. So what are your views?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How about another option, don't allow full opening hours but extend the current rules an hour each way so in effect you allow opening 9-5.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • Sylje
    Sylje Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Then should the shops be closing on other days for the observance of other religions? Sunday isn't every religion's day of worship, is it? We are a multi-cultural society after all.
  • janE1956
    janE1956 Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If shops are allowed to trade all day sunday then the banks and post offices should also open. The staff in these places can come into the supermarket where I work but I cannot enter a bank or post office, yes I can do online banking etc but somtimes you have to go in. Cannot post parcels on a Sunday. Can sell on e bay or amazon etc but cannot post these.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd have them all closed on Sundays. It's ruined the good old Sunday lie-in, pottering around the house and getting together with relatives/friends for the majority of people.

People can't get together now because so many are either working, or shopping on that day.

Close them all. Let people sit and watch telly, cut the grass, or pop over to Granny's house every Sunday instead for Sunday tea/catch up with cousins etc. Or just taking granny to the seaside.

People don't have more money to spend, just because the shops are open..... so to say it boosted the economy when it occurred, is, imho, nonsense - what boosted the economy was having people who were out and about for a special event. It was the event that changed the financial dynamics, not the shops' opening hours.
  • tonygcharles
    Options
    I see Many people voted to have shops open on Sundays , the same hours as weekdays , would those same people be prepared to work Sundays themselves ?

Maybe another survey should be run and see what the result would be if they where asked to work on Sundays , I got a feeling the answers may not be so favourable
  • socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I see Many people voted to have shops open on Sundays , the same hours as weekdays , would those same people be prepared to work Sundays themselves ?

Maybe another survey should be run and see what the result would be if they where asked to work on Sundays , I got a feeling the answers may not be so favourable

It doesn't have to be existing staff that work more hours (unless they want to) but more likely new staff. I work in a school and also work at a supermarket at the weekends. I get bored during the school holidays so I put myself forward to work extra. Supermarkets generally employ people on part-time basis and hope they want to grab any overtime going... usually we do!

Why do people assume people don't want to work on Sundays?
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • shegrinch
    Options
    I for one would not wish to work longer hours on a Sunday. We already work every bank holiday and have holiday embargoes around summer and Christmas. At which point do we get to see our families.
  • ryry91
    ryry91 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone actually thought about the workers who have to do this? Most retail workers have to deal with a lot of people with disgusting attitudes towards them. Extending Sunday opening hours is just going to deflate retail workers' morale even further! I feel that Sundays and bank holidays should give retail workers the extra day off that they deserve! I am sure people can go a day without open shops between a Saturday and Monday.
    Survey Savings for Xmas 2018: £5.08 / £150
    Debt Free Wannabe 2018
    Jan '18 Debt: £8068.15
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I live in Scotland, we are civilised here and the shops are already open on Sundays.
  • TheButler45
    TheButler45 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2016 at 2:09AM
    Options
    janE1956 wrote: »
    If shops are allowed to trade all day sunday then the banks and post offices should also open. The staff in these places can come into the supermarket where I work but I cannot enter a bank or post office, yes I can do online banking etc but somtimes you have to go in. Cannot post parcels on a Sunday. Can sell on e bay or amazon etc but cannot post these.
    Sorry but that is completely wrong. I own a Shop/Post Office and almost all Post Office services are available, including banking, parcel posting, bill paying etc, on Sunday from 8.00 am to 8.30 pm. Just do a search for Post Office Local to find your nearest branch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure