PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?

Options

Comments

• ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    This is not possible, I have seen photos of the tenants, they are not very clear because they were taken through a window from some distance but the man was definitely not the agent.

Doesn't stop them being friends of the "agent". Have you let this property through this agent before to different people, though? I may have missed that.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When they leave have all the carpets nicely cleaned with their deposit.
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    You state "You have a business name and the agent's name on a contract they signed, yet you say you cannot find any evidence of how to contact him or whether he is still trading???"

I have said that I have used Google on the business name and also Companies House search and not found anything. His name alone returns many many results most of which are not from the UK and do not show obvious signs of being him or his business. The telephone number at first was not answered and now is not ringing at all. There is no address given anywhere and the emails go unanswered. On my bank statement there is no business name associated with the payments, just the account number the payment came from. If you want to help then please tell me your very clever and obvious way of finding him instead of writing very long messages about how stupid I am!
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    you miss my point...

Really 'surr? I think it is you who missed mine.
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    Would it be legally inappropriate to ask my neighbour to inspect the property?
  • higgledypiggledy_pop
    Options
    lovinituk wrote: »
    Well it could be fraud, but the police are unlikely to do anything.

Nothing? Why???
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing? Why???

because our police force have better things to do than chase down a dodgy agent that you should have seen the warning signs for. they're already stretched just dealing with dangerous crime and the terrorism threats so i doubt this will be high on their list. this will be civil action through the courts to recoup your costs from the agent - if you can find them. sorry that's not what you want to hear.

and please do not get your neighbour to do the inspection.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    When they leave have all the carpets nicely cleaned with their deposit.
    That's not likely to happen for many reasons, but as you clearly have no knowledge on this subject matter, it's simpler to say - no, that's not possible.
  • Guest101
    Options
    lovinituk wrote: »
    Well it could be fraud, but the police are unlikely to do anything.
    The agent is doing what he agreed to do. The contract doesn't require him to speak to the LL. Whilst it might be expected in an agency agreement, the contract simply asked them to deduct the tax owing and the 15% fee.

It's a civil matter, unless the agent really has absconded. as the rent is still trickling in I doubt it.
  • Guest101
    Options
    Would it be legally inappropriate to ask my neighbour to inspect the property?
    Legally your tenant can tell you no inspections.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure