Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • museumworker
    • By museumworker 15th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 1,968Posts
    • 11,127Thanks
    museumworker
    The mindful MFW: A healthy, happy journey to a mortgage free life!
    • 15th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    The mindful MFW: A healthy, happy journey to a mortgage free life! 15th Jul 17 at 10:22 PM
    Hi all! Some of you may know me from my last two diaries (museumworkers quest to consign the mortgage to history and Making the Future Happen). A lot DID happen during my last diary, mostly things that threw me off the MFW course, including an unexpected (but much loved) third child and a new full time job! These are both changes for the better, but adjusting to even less time with even more responsibilities unfortunately took its toll on my health and wellbeing as well as our finances.

Anyway, I now feel like I've turned a corner - my health is improving, I'm settled at work, we have local childcare arranged (no more commuting with a toddler and buggy come September!) and we are starting to tackle the mortgage again. Rather selfishly I would like a new diary to mark this new phase as I feel a bit like my old one is, well, if not stained then a bit dog-eared. And who doesn't like the feel of a crisp new diary, all shiny, new and full of hope!

This time my journey to mortgage freedom has to be healthy and happy. I can't let myself get ill again, the whole family suffers. The mindfulness part is more aspiration than reality at the moment! However I've gained so much benefit from the mindfulness work that I have done that I really want to make it an integral part of my life. And I really want to enjoy my time with the kids, aged (nearly) 3, 5 and 14, and nurture my relationship with the very neglected OH. We love to travel and have days out, though usually there's a discount voucher and a packed lunch to hand if you look closely enough! Of course there will be challenges along the way, but if I can build personal resilience and keep a positive outlook I'll be much better placed to deal with them.

I would love it if you read and posted along - words of encouragement, suggestions, comments, questions, observations, witticisms, light ribbing - and the occasional reprimand if I start being self-negligent!

Some facts that always help at the start of a diary:
    Mortgage balance at start of MF journey, March 2011: £190,000
    Current balance July 2017: £95,979.89
    Mortgage rate: 2.39% fixed at Feb 2016 for 5 years.

OPs in 2017 to date: £9,249.16
    Total OPs 2011-16: £45k

LTV when house purchased 2008: 83%
    Estimated Current LTV: 15%
    Old mortgage rate: 5.09%
    Old mortgage monthly payment: £1,200
    Current mortgage monthly payment: £623.15

Original end date at renewal: February 2036
    Current end date with no further OPs: October 2033 [guestimate, will check next time I call]
    Target: April 2022 = £1,200 pm OP / £14,400 pa OP
    Stretch target: September 2021 = £1,400 pm OP / £16,800 pa OP
    Super stretch target: April 2021 = £1,600 pm OP / £19,200 pa OP

Just realised that means am possibly talking only 4 years or so until we're mortgage free ! Wow, that feels so unreal - but incredibly motivating!!

Lots more to say, but right now we're off to bed. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by museumworker; 19-07-2017 at 1:07 PM.
    Mortgage 16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
Page 16
    • museumworker
    • By museumworker 9th Nov 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 11,127 Thanks
    museumworker
    Thanks wish for the kids words, I’m exhausted today but managed to meet the deadline which is a huge relief. I also made some progress on another project so feels good to end a bit of a strained week on a better note.

Mid-month (or at least half way between pay packets) and very little to report money wise. YNAB is up to date and we are doing very little spending. I did treat my sister to a nice Peruvian meal on Tuesday, and we also got a free cocktail each as they’d been slow to confirm my booking. It was a really nice evening and was covered by my pocket money. OH has returned a Xmas gift and the laddered Spanx so have some funds due to come back. No news on the £1700 hire car charge though .

We have some spare rice to use up tonight, and OH has said he will cook so will suggest some rice cakes, if we have the ingredients.

Tomorrow I have my second week of the cheap cookery class, onion soup and Singapore noodles. Guess what will be on our meal plan next week?Just downloaded the free cookbook from Tiny Budget website so want to incorporate some of that into our planning too.

Hoping for an early night and a little lie in... I can hope, at least!
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 9th Nov 17, 8:52 PM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 36,198 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Please share the Singapore noodles recipe- I love them and they are an expensive takeaway considering the ingredients!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • museumworker
    • By museumworker 10th Nov 17, 10:09 AM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 11,127 Thanks
    museumworker
    Will do SSS! Just had a lovely lie in til 920 Having breakfast and a coffee in a quiet house is such a treat. However the place is a tip and the cleaner will come soon so need to start tidying. Today’s ta dahhh list is a bit scary:

* Sleep in til 9
    * Mindfulness
    * Tidy house
    * Bag some things for charity
    * Book Sunday lunch for me/DD1
    * Write blog post
    * Send parcels
    * Cooking class
    * Collect dress
    * Collect parcel
    * Collect advent calendar
    * Comping shop
    * Collect kids
    * Order yellow wellies and Spanx
    * Update YNAB
    * Sponsor 2x friends
    * Text friend back
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 10th Nov 17, 3:57 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 2,182 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Well item one of your ta dah list was achieved...

Ps, I love the name 'ta dah' list. Stolen I'm afraid...
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400)
    2017 July : £36,800 8/100 Aug: £36,411.85 8/100 Sep: £35,945.66 10/100 Oct: £35,500 11/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029
    Current mortgage free date: April 2025
    • pinkypig
    • By pinkypig 11th Nov 17, 7:22 AM
    • 714 Posts
    • 6,316 Thanks
    pinkypig
    Please share the Singapore noodles recipe- I love them and they are an expensive takeaway considering the ingredients!
    Originally posted by Secret Saving Squirrel
    Your cookery class sounds great. I love cooking but I'm not that great and get stuck in a rut making the same things. I think I might see if I can find something locally. I love Singapore noodles so if you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd also love the recipe.
    Hope things with DD1 are settling down. Is she doing GCSEs this year? If so I feel your pain
    Have a good weekend xx
    • museumworker
    • By museumworker 14th Nov 17, 9:14 PM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 11,127 Thanks
    museumworker
    Thanks PP, had a really nice weekend. GCSEs are next year thank goodness. I will share the Singapore noodles once I’ve cooked them at home to make sure they work out as well as the ones I made in class.

Weekend started off not great, found out one voucher planned to use with OH on night out not valid on Saturdays and the one planning to use with DD1 had already expired

But all was not lost... agreed we’d still go out but go halves from pocket money. Found out that keg of beer I won last year for local craft brewery via twitter was still valid so had 2 free pints (worth £8). Then we tried a local pizza place, the food was really good. Babysitter was a swap so only cost £17.50 each for a night out. Still have 51 pints to drink in local brewery in the next year too

We took kids out together on Sat to local pop up cafe with giant marble run for kids, then a walk in nearby new nature attraction. Total spend £5 on coffee.

Took DD1 to free history talk on Sun with tea and cake in nearby cafe. Total spend £11. Was nice to have some time together and she enjoyed the talk, which is related to her GCSE topics. Have made plans for another outing together once her exams are out of the way, and we’ll watch a documentary together later in the week.

Food spend about £60 this week which seems a bit steep, but did include £4 of dummies I want to return, and some very overpriced oyster sauce from Mr T. OH is trying his hardest so need to be a bit less critical when he comes home from the shop overbudget.

And looks as if charges for car are finally settled, looking most likely to be £130. I still think they are scamming us, but just glad the whole debacle is nearing the end. We’re due a refund this week for the rest of our deposit apparently. Lesson learnt about purchasing independent damage waiver insurance and photographing hire cars more closely before and after the hire.

Postal survey up to date and just about to update YNAB. 10 days til OH gets paid and I’m feeling the itch to do something financially crazy! Good news is have a night out with friend tomorrow and have won a pair of tickets to a food festival on the weekend so a couple of things to look forward to that can use my pocket money on.
    • museumworker
    • By museumworker 18th Nov 17, 11:15 AM
    • 1,968 Posts
    • 11,127 Thanks
    museumworker
    Gosh! The weekend already!

A few MSE things to report:
    * felt ill so didn’t go to food fair, saving my pocket money
    * BeeTee not charging me for landline at the moment (good, as it’s not working) meaning monthly broadband only £14 instead of £30 budgeted
    * Company will resend backpack for DD2 that went missing in the post. Great news as bought with £20 off voucher that I doubt would have been credited
    * £25 received from fleabay credit, and transferred to house account
    * £1.79 claimed from TCB
    * free cookery class yesterday, made saag paneer and an Italian ragu
    * food shop for week £56 ish after voucher reclaims, that will be delivered this evening
    * cheapish day out at outdoor trail planned today, bit of petrol and £3 in parking
    * kids party tomorrow, ordered present using vouchers so no costs there
    *YNAB up to date and all looking positive, we have even saved £150 towards our Christmas meals out next month
    * OH gets paid in 6 days, woohoo!

BAD NEWS
    * mobile phone has died so will have to look at buying a new handset
    * kitchen tap broken so need to buy a new one and pay someone to fix it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

940Posts Today

6,827Users online

Martin's Twitter