Real-life MMD: Should I pay fixed contribution for teacher's gift?

Options

Comments

• nczm
    nczm Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Phone the local press and the head teacher of the school, thats £750 per teacher, talk about a special little bonus. You can't be the only parent upset about this, as for the weepy kid let him save his pocket money (£2 a week right?) after 12 weeks of save (and a fantastic lesson in the value of money) he probably won't want to give his hard saved cash to his teacher - get him to buy her a bunch of flowers from the clearance in tesco
  • littlelaura23
    Options
    am astonished that this is considered a compulsory "donation". If it was 25pounds total that the teacher got then that would still be a big thank you to them. but 25 each is outrageous. Personally I wouldn't pay it.
  • venderqueen
    venderqueen Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The nicest thing to receive is a card/picture as many people have said, so much better to look back on in later life, memories are priceless. The teacher she wrote to should crawl under a rock and be ashamed of herself asking for vouchers. I todays economic climate £25 is a huge chunk of money and could be very hard to spare.
    Keep on trying it will be your turn soon x
  • Flydrive
    Flydrive Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I disagree with 'tipping' anyone for doing the job they are paid to do well. If someone has gone over and above what you should reasonably expect from them, then Ok something inline with their effort and your income. To ask £25 from every pupil is outrageous. Who's idea was it? Complain about 'blackmail'!!!!!!
  • Flydrive
    Flydrive Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Better still report to the tax office!!!
  • maire1
    maire1 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    That is horrendous OP.

I'd be mortified if families felt under such pressure and obligation to provide a gift at the end of the school year.

Any gifts I do receive are much appreciated but certainly not expected and one gift that was particularly memorable was a donation to purchase school supplies for a child in an African school.

Certainly, this teacher's attitude towards charity donations as gifts is questionable. This person is supposedly a role model to young children.

Please, do not pay! You may find that you are the first of many to say no to this madness.
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Prothet_of_Doom Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would make the teacher a small cup cake and get said child to decorate it.

I frequently have questioned my kids schools over the size of 'donations' and not paid them on principle. and why some secondary school trips require 2 months salary to allow a child to participate. Call me tight but I don't think it's right.
  • onesixfive
    onesixfive Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    I came across an identical situation on the web some time ago - but this was not UK-based http://blogs.ajc.com/momania/2013/05/01/teacher-appreciation-week-just-pony-up-the-gift-cards/ !!!

However, teachers who I know personally, do not expect even the smallest of gifts - never mind £25 per child !
    A simple thank you would suffice.

For the school to put children under this peer-pressure, by sending out such letters is totally unacceptable. Whoever instigated & sent them should be dealt with using the strictest disciplinary procedures.
    Likewise for the Teacher who specified how she would like her £25 contributions - well - I know that I would not like that teacher advising any child I know about budgeting in todays economy. Talk about "I'm alright Jack" !
  • jxp
    jxp Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely not. Also, any scheme like this should be conducted anonymously so there is no way to easily tell who contributed and who didn't, nor the amount contributed.
  • Fujiko
    Fujiko Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    katyboo123 wrote: »
    In my opinion, I would just pay it. I have been finished school for over 15 years, yet I still remember how uncomfortable it felt not fitting in. As an adult I love to be different, but I didn't enjoy getting bullied for not fitting in at school. I think that in this case, if the child is that worried about not fitting in that he'd pay his own pocket money in to the contribution, then I would just pay it.

I agree, it's extortionate and not on, but I think my child's happiness would always come first.

I also agree, that I would approach the school PTA, governors, staff, etc and try to campaign for a more appropriate whip round (or, handmade gifts off the children for instance).

When I was at school we didn't give presents to the teachers, we'd just make them a little present (usually in class!). How times have changed!
    I'm afraid I think this dilemma should really have been posted on April 1st but since it is here I will comment!

Why, I wonder, is the child so worried about not fitting in? How will anyone know? This presupposes that the teacher will be keeping a list of pupils' names and will put a tick against each one as the money comes in and will then make it known to the whole class who has not contributed. Unbelievable! Would any teacher really humiliate a child in this way?

The teachers must have got together, worked out how many John Lewis vouchers they each wanted and then set the donation demanded accordingly. I still have my doubts as to whether this dilemma is real!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure