MoneySaving Poll: Have you bought clothes just to wear then return?

Options
Former_MSE_Sam_M
Former_MSE_Sam_M Posts: 346 Forumite
edited 1 September 2015 at 3:48PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 1 September 2015

Have you bought clothes just to wear then return?

Many big stores, such as M&S, John Lewis and many websites, have generous no-fault return policies. Some people use this as a form of free ‘rental’, you buy the clothes, wear them once, then return them – we've even heard of people wearing items once for a wedding.

The legality is a grey area it depends on the terms – but it's certainly questionable.

Which of the following is closest to your situation?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    No wonder some clothes are so expensive - to me this is a form of stealing.
  • Tryinghard
    Options
    Absolutely agree patanne. Could this be another example of when a few bad people spoil the facility for the rest of us? Would be a huge step backwards if we weren't able to take stuff home to try & then return.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    It's more than questionable - it's shameful behaviour.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    This has got to be one of the daftest questions you've polled on yet.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Never done it.

Would never dream of doing it.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Really - why daft. Its an interesting question - with interesting results prompting a lot of discussion on social media and elsewhere. I find peoples varying attitudes fascinating, plus the fact that it seems youth and gender make a difference to willingness to do it.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Because, whilst I'm not suggesting that you're endorsing or condoning the behaviour, the wording of the question, and how it's been presented, in my opinion, seems an attempt to normalise the behaviour.

Buying, wearing, and returning an item is not money saving (in a way that perhaps trying something in a shop before buying online cheaper might be) - it's on the cusp of being fraudulent.

But hey, we all know how the questions are really picked for your polls ;) $$$
  • catwoman73
    Options
    People do this? Totally wrong IMHO. I know some shops make ££££s but it doesn't give people the right to take the mickey.

The legality is a grey area, it depends on the terms - but it's certainly questionable.

What, because the t+cs that none of us read but we all agree to don't specifically state that you shouldn't use online shopping as free rental, are you suggesting that it might be OK? Really?

Just because some clever lawyer might be able to find a loophole doesn't make it right.

The next poll could be 'is it OK to record DVDs and CDs and return them for a refund' because that amounts to the same thing.
  • RandomRainy
    Options
    I've never done it to wear out for the night, but I have grabbed a few items for family photo shoots.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Blooming cheek!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure