Car Insurance

Options
50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I am picking up a new car on 1st September and realised that cheap car insurance is not all that it is cracked up to be

How many of you realised that some policies do not even offer a
replacement car in the first 12 months ?
(I had always assumed that this was standard practice)

Is there any database on line that shows which insurance companies do and which don't ?

Comments

• poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    On the Compare the Market comparison website, they show each insurance company and what they do/do not offer on their results page.

Or you can search for individual requirements such as courtesy car provided, etc.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    On the Compare the Market comparison website, they show each insurance company and what they do/do not offer on their results page.

Or you can search for individual requirements such as courtesy car provided, etc.

The reason for asking this is that I have spent many hours trying to beat the record of cheap car insurance (88p or something) and filled in so many on-line forms - only to discover at the last minute that they do not offer this vital extra for a new car (I have 10 years NCD before anyone asks)
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    http://www.defaqto.com/star-ratings/car-insurance

The above is the closest proxy to what you want but be careful that you are looking at exactly the right product as what sold by Aviva via brokers is different to what they sell on their own website which is different to what they sell via QuoteMeHappy. Its still at a fairly high level of detail.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    I am picking up a new car on 1st September and realised that cheap car insurance is not all that it is cracked up to be

Is there any database on line that shows which insurance companies do and which don't ?

Is it not worth getting GAP in this instance?
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »

Possibly yes - good point - but only worth having if I write off the car !!
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »

Possibly yes - good point !!
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »

I'll think you'll find the majority do offer this. Was it Admiral you were looking at?
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    rs65 wrote: »
    I'll think you'll find the majority do offer this. Was it Admiral you were looking at?

It was a subsidiary of Admiral - yes !!
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a new car in April and my Saga policy gives two years' gap insurance to the first owner. This is the best I've come across. Other insurance companies, but not all, give one year gap insurance on a new car. If you don't have it you will need a stand alone gap policy, but ones bought through dealerships are often very expensive.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    iolanthe07 wrote: »
    I bought a new car in April and my Saga policy gives two years' gap insurance to the first owner. This is the best I've come across. Other insurance companies, but not all, give one year gap insurance on a new car. If you don't have it you will need a stand alone gap policy, but ones bought through dealerships are often very expensive.

I agree - I was offered GAP insurance by the dealers at 3 times what I can get it for (direct from the same company)
    but thanks - I will take a look at SAGA
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport