"Spam" letters?

Options
Not sure where to put this query but, as I've seen respondents here commenting on scam companies, I thought I'd put this here.

I've today received ten identical letters to my home address each with a different recipient and none of which have ever resided here. They are from "The Hacking Trust, London" and refer to another company "Purton Court (Farnham Royal) Ltd".
The letters state that the Hacking Trust believe our private residential address is "a privately owned company with a property asset base" and they want to sell their services to the people addressed.

I could just contact "The Hacking Trust", but I'm reluctant to provide them with any (more) personal details. Is it safe to shred and ignore these letters? Have the ten people used my address fraudulently or is this likely simply a mistake? Should I involve the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)?

I'm quite disturbed that my home address may simply have been appropriated by some unscrupulous business.

I know it's not a Consumer Rights issue...

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd remove my address and send them back to them in a large envelope with no stamp

They will have to visit the post office and pay to collect the crap

Doubt they will respond responsibly to request not to send more
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Doubt they will respond responsibly to request not to send more
    The letters are are all on expensive card rather than paper, but it's not the company who have sent me all these letters that are of concern to me. I'm more worried that the ten people named on the letters are somehow fraudulently using my address for their business...
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Have you tried googling your address?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 January 2018 at 1:01PM
    Options
    Have you tried googling your address?
    Just comes up with House Prices and the telephone directory..:)

Googling the address of the company referenced in the letter is more reassuring;
    First Floor, Pligrim House, Packhorse Road, Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, SL9 7QE is nowhere near my Home address.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I know it's not a Consumer Rights issue...

... in which case this is probably better located in Praise, Vent and Warnings. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    ... in which case this is probably better located in Praise, Vent and Warnings. :)
    Naw, I'm not venting, praising or warning about anything .. :p
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    About 35 years ago at a previous address, I received 2 or 3 letters over several months from companies seeking a credit reference from a firm supposedly based at my address. Never found out what was going on and can't remember If I binned or returned "not at this address"
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I could just contact "The Hacking Trust", but I'm reluctant to provide them with any (more) personal details. Is it safe to shred and ignore these letters? Have the ten people used my address fraudulently or is this likely simply a mistake? Should I involve the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)?
    According to Companies House, Purton Court (Farnham Royal) Ltd has TEN directors; perhaps, they are the same ten names on your letters?:-
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01041778/officers
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 January 2018 at 6:07PM
    Options
    Castle wrote: »
    According to Companies House, Purton Court (Farnham Royal) Ltd has TEN directors; perhaps, they are the same ten names on your letters?:-
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/01041778/officers

1 male, 9 female directors, all living in Purton Court, except one in Purton Lane and one at the Purton Court (Farnham Royal) Ltd registered address. I think The Hacking Trust has somehow used your address in error.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds weird but in the grand scheme of things, junk mail doesn't bother me. You know it's cost the company a lot of money to print and mail the rubbish. With emails and spam telephone calls there is minimal cost to the scammer.

You may find that the company has purchased an (unscrupulous) mailing list that they think best targets their potential customer base.
    The man without a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport