Cost of new bathroom installation - is this fair?

Options

Comments

• r-world
    r-world Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I live in Kent and have been getting some bathroom quotes - we want to make the bathroom and separate wc into one room, knock down the dividing wall, gut the existing tiling and suite, have new tiling for floor and heated towel rail installed. Quotes come up to around £3800 +VAT and we'd supply the suite and taps.

I thought it was expensive but my neighbour did the same thing last year (getting rid of the diving wall between bathroom and wc) - which included new electrics and fancy showerbath. It cost her £9000! :eek: She was told that for bathroom installations today (to cover everything from installation, plastering, repainting, plumbing) to get anything less than £5k was v. rare. This means my quotes are actually bargains!

I thought I wouldn't need to pay more than £3k max - obviously living in a dream world...
    Saving Nectar points for long-haul flights - total as of Jan '07= 54,000+ :T
  • anitha
    anitha Posts: 189 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

we are to redo our bathroom as well.
    Any suggestions as to where/websites we can look at for taps, whirlpools, showers that are good quality but very cheaply priced ?

Have had a look at ebay and some bargains to be had there.

Any suggestions welcome.

Anitha
    A
  • Aly_2
    Aly_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I am in the process of receiving quotes for very similar work but without the shower. I have had 3 quotes so far ranging from £650 - £1400! I live in Medway, Kent but I can't see why there should be over £3000 difference!
    Get a few quotes!
    Good luck. I had an extension built last year with an apparently reputable builder and getting 6 quotes but ended up reporting his company to Trading Standards. He messed me around and I had to get some work finished by others. The bonus was that I had not paid the full amount, I paid only in stages and witheld a sum for problems.....which was just as well.
  • Jnelhams
    Jnelhams Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Options
    No you are being ripped off, I went to my local Homebase store and got a very good suite and similar install for that much all in.
    My Mind wanders, if found please return.
  • Shrimp_Stu
    Shrimp_Stu Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    A friend of mine has recently started his own company in Sittingbourne, although he is willing to travel for work (has gone to London/Essex).
    He is Corgi qualified and has all the certification and can do all electric, gas and plumbing work, as well as tiling and small building work - he knocked down a wall to a seperate toilet / bathroom. He is a very reliable worker and trustworthy, and very reasonable prices. He has refitted my inlaws bathroom and done work for my boss and friend.
    I have no qualms about providing you with his contact details - if you pm me.
    Thanks
    Stuart
  • busymumof3
    busymumof3 Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We recently had our bathroom, en-suite and cloakrooms replaced at a total cost of under £6000. I purchased all the materials myself -Twyfords stuff, mira sport 9.8kw electric shower, 4 bristan mixer taps including bath/shower mixer, 3 chrome towel rails, bath screen and limestone effect tiles. The rooms are fairly large and we fitted 4 500mm cut back kitchen base units with shaker style doors and laminate worktops in the bathroom and ensuite. THis was a huge saving against bathroom furniture. The £6000 includes costs of plumber, joiner, electrician, tiler, plasterer and decorator and laying of flooring.

All the materials were purchased online after leafing through brochures. The tradesmen were all known to me and had done lots of work before in our old house. Sounds horrendously expensive to me. Can you save anything by removing the old sanitryware, tiles etc. yourself?
  • r-world
    r-world Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    anitha wrote:
    Hi,

we are to redo our bathroom as well.
    Any suggestions as to where/websites we can look at for taps, whirlpools, showers that are good quality but very cheaply priced ?

Have had a look at ebay and some bargains to be had there.

Any suggestions welcome.

Anitha

I'm going to buy my taps, shower head, etc from ebay. Save a lot of money and better selection - esp. if you want the minimalist designer look and not the price!:D

rw
    Saving Nectar points for long-haul flights - total as of Jan '07= 54,000+ :T
  • DebP1
    DebP1 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    We work in Kent, doing exactly this, but usually we supply, for very good reasons, I explain below.

To be honest the quote sounds on the high side, but not unreasonable. It may include VAT. If you need to save money you should look for a small firm 'one-man band' who is not VAT registered

Do get one or two other quotes, but don't just go by price, ask the installers to arrange to visit 1 or 2 other similar bathroom jobs.
    You need to be assured of the standard of the finish, and time scale. As someone else said. It should take 2 weeks.
    You also need to know what sort of follow-up guarentee you will have. If there is a leak in 10 months time will the plumber return? You may want to pay less but take care of any faults which emerge later at your own expense.

You can arrange the seperate tradesmen yourself:
    plumber, tiler, plasterer, electrician if required. But this could be a nightmare and make the job take serveral weeks.
    Some plumbers are multi-skilled and can do all the work themselves or bring in people they work with on a regular basis.

My company almost always supply everything. This way we can offer a guarentee. If anything turns out to be faulty - such as a shower tray cracking, or shower door breaking we can go back and fix or replace free of charge. Taps often develop faults. If your plumber has not supplied these things, he willl charge you to come back and sort it out.
    These things do happen.
    If you do supply everything, I would NOT buy the cheapest.

Obviously, you would pay more for our company to do the work, and sadly we are VAT registered. Typically we would charge upwards of £7k inc VAT. to supply and fit as described. Possibly a little less if there are no electrics, most bathrooms we do have new lighting.

Deb
    Read more of my words of wisdom on my blog - Mrs Tara Plumbing - where there are also links to my ebooks.
  • just2far
    just2far Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I Think another quote is advisable. We had a complete refurb last month
    similar work to yourself size of room 2.9m X 2.5m

Cost £2461.00 +VAT

This included cost of supply And Fit all Sanitary ware

Hope this helps!!!
  • lola_the_cat
    lola_the_cat Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I am in the process of completely updating our bathroom and have bought some excellent products such as butler sink, bath, WC, radiator/towel warmer etc from Ebay shops and have saved a huge amount on the costs compared with B&Q. Certainly worth a look as so much more choice than than in the shops.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure