We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Not so distant future - walled garden

Options

Comments

• I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    Options
    am I better off having it all dug up and a new lawn laid after removing the plastic?

Yes! Expect to pay £10 sq/m laid by landscape gardeners.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    If you are intending to stay there for (say) five years plus, then I'd go gor removing it completely. Two good reasons. Firstly, it's early days in the garden, you haven't yet made it perfect and yours, so now is the time for making chaos. Second is, if it's troublesome now, what will it be like in an exceptionally wet autumn, or a very long, hot, drying summer.

There is a third... the satisfaction of a really good lawn. I know about that, 'cos mine is most definitely not top-notch. That's next year's challenge.

Thanks, that makes me feel better about doing it. This place is definitely the final home and so has to be more than just good.

Yes! Expect to pay £10 sq/m laid by landscape gardeners.

Biting the bullet then! Has to be done though. Thanks.
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Perhaps you will get some ideas from Pinterest.

http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=walled%20garden

;)
  • Gers
    edited 25 May 2014 at 9:51AM
    Options
    Some of the promised views - in sunshine!

[IMG][/img]Viewofgarden.jpg

[IMG][/img]Westview.jpg

[IMG][/img]Northview.jpg

[IMG][/img]Smallblueflowers.jpg

[IMG][/img]Fennelandhostas.jpg

[IMG][/img]BackraisedbedApril14.jpg

[IMG][/img]PartraisedbedMay14.jpg

I can see a huge difference now that the plants are growing and showing themselves off. Grass has been cut once.

Thanks for the pinterest thingy...
  • Gers
    Options
    Just another update - one of the bushes (in the top pic) turns out to be a black elder and is now producing the most gorgeous pink flowers in bunches like cow parsley!

Hostas are getting devoured, probably slugs.

I have discovered a bank of 'wild' sweet peas outside the front of the house, along with a 'wild' honeysuckle and yards and yards of comfrey.

Every day a new delight!
  • Gers
    Options
    Another update to the progress of my garden, it's a delight!

Had the wayward sycamore removed which was growing under the spruce but out of the wall. The ferns are absolutely enormous, as are the hiosta, both of which I'm having removed as they're invasive.

The sun is currently shining in the whole area apart from the extreme edges of two walls and it's a lovely place o sit out in. Still got major work to do, especially to the lawn which I suspect will need dug up, soil replaced and new lawn laid.

Have to say that from never ever having a garden to having this lovely place is a joy. Steep steep learning curve but still a pleasure.

Will post up photos later as even looking at my earlier ones compared to now shows a huge difference.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do enjoy your progress reports and pictures. Do keep the fennel, consider giving the hostas a reprieve (as you tidy, the slugs will be far, far fewer), and enjoy the warm summer. Gardening is a never-ending learning experience, and you've worked wonders in a short time.
  • Gers
    Options
    Thanks DD - fennel can be kept in check but I'm not really liking the hostas though they do give background greenery. Still mulling it all over.

Meanwhile...

[IMG][/img]image2.jpg

Much more light now the sycamore has been removed and no danger of it all falling down.

[IMG][/img]image3.jpg

The large fern (see earlier photo) which hides even the two large hostas from sight.

[IMG][/img]image-7.jpg

The orangey-red roses on this very very thorny bush have a wonderful fragrance.
  • Gers
    Options
    [IMG][/img]image4.jpgThis pink bush which is next to the bird bath in earlier photos - just gone wild now.Blackelder.jpg

The black elder - flowers all gone now.

[IMG][/img]Hydrangea.jpg

And this most beautiful hydrangea.
  • Gers
    Options
    I'm happy to report that three huge ferns and three horrible slug eaten hostas have been relocated! They have huge enormous root 'balls' and I have no idea how my neighbour managed to lift them by herself. The space now is good and I can plan something more visually interesting for it.

There are some very small orangey/pinky flowers growing out the mass of plant over the left hand side wall - will take a pic this weekend and post it up. (see post #39 ) Every time I go there is something new or something dying back - can see why gardening is addictive!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure