The ESA medical for people with anxiety and depression

Options

Comments

• glossgal
    glossgal Posts: 438 Forumite
    Options
    the new mental health test for ESA is very strict and the harsh reality is that unless you are seriously unable to function and care for yourself because of your condition then you will not pass, appeals or not (not to say you shouldn't appeal, it's always worth a try). I don't think this is necessarily a good thing but on the other hand, IMHO the previous test was far too slack, hell on bad day I reckon I could have got half the points required and I have nowt wrong with me!
    "I always pass on good advice. It is the only thing to do with it. It is never of any use to oneself" -Oscar Wilde
  • geministar2008
    Options
    Well some good news for those with mental health issues. I passed my medical assessment and i am now in the work focused support group.

My assessment lasted around 25 mins, and the lady who carried out the assessment was nice and asked all questions relevant to my health issues. She even had in front of her, my medical assessment form that i had originally filled in.

So i guess the system does work at times.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    andyandflo wrote: »
    Hi, first of all it may look as though I am picking on you - not at all, honest. It's just your comment about MP's. I wrote to mine, M Howard, received the standard reply - looking into it, that was in the middle of January, heard nothing since so have given up! Yes you are totally correct, all decisions about health should be viewed with ALL of the available evidence in front of them. Not the DWP decision makers, but the Health assessors at the medical in order that relevant questions could be asked. The decision makers can only decide on what is put in front of them!
    But what you have to remember is that the assessment isn't about what is wrong with you, how it is treated etc. it is purely an assessment that looks at the positives. Almost everybody has a positive side to them despite how ill they are or feel. It's all a question of trying to establish what those positives are and are they usable in the work place. We have the Disability Discrimination Act there to protect people with difficult and long term disabilities, the workplace can and will be adapted.
    I have a long standing friend that suffered from Thalydamyde (no legs or arms and serious gastro problems. He fought and fought everybody and everything, eventually qualified as a Chartered Accountant.
    I am glad that your husband managed to get through the 'system', and maybe you have a more supportive MP.
    Me, I have no pancreas, no stomach, no spleen and not expected to live more than 7 years, take 100mgs Morphine daily. They gave me 9 points and told me that I am fit to do some type of work. When you think about it, I probably could - I'm sat here writing this aren't I? But I carry on the best I can with what I am given which isn't a lot.

My MP took the medical evidence from my husbands doctors and made sure the DWP looked at it, hes very ill with stage 4 kidney failure and a adrinal tumour(and other health problems), he worked for months while ill till he couldnt do it any more and hes now where he should be, in the support group.

Im very impressed what my MP did and I would vote for him but hes in his `70 now and hes stannding down which was another reason I was so surprised. Did you give your MP all of the details and medical reports to back up your claim? Thats what was reconsidered in my husbands case and it saved us from waiting months for an appeal which certainly dosnt help anyone whos genuinely ill.
  • andyandflo
    Options
    I had no idea about medical reports. How do you get them? Thought DWP would write to them for the reports.
    No nothing sent to MP, just complained - had nothing to send. Just thought that I could discuss my illness with the medical assessment doctor.
    And yes I am genuinely ill, and I know what you mean. Looks like I have c*****d it all up. Have already told DWP to withdraw claim as thought no point in asking them to look again - would come up with same answer on the same facts. Could not face the thought of an appeal either. Just hoping that they will agree that my condition has got worse this month so that a new claim can go in. OOoooopps
  • littlerat
    littlerat Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good news, I recently found out a friend of mine suffering with depression was put straight into the support group, so it obviously can and does happen!
  • utopiandream
    Options
    i was on income support for depression/anxiety i just got benefit stopped as i got 6 points..think u need 15 to keep it so im appealing..but ive no money now...well i hope crime pays as government run idiotic scheme..if they take u off 1 benefit they should automatically sign u over to say jobseekers..no need for us to fill in 50pages of forms again...labour are morons..so are all other partys
    write down & number competitions you do & youll see that your lucky if u win even 1 thing in 4000 ! ps if u find an error with a comp tell the site running the comp cheers
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i was on income support for depression/anxiety i just got benefit stopped as i got 6 points..think u need 15 to keep it so im appealing..but ive no money now...well i hope crime pays as government run idiotic scheme..if they take u off 1 benefit they should automatically sign u over to say jobseekers..no need for us to fill in 50pages of forms again...labour are morons..so are all other partys

You can claim job seekers whilst appealing.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • andyandflo
    Options
    Hi, It seems that whilst appealing some people have still received ESA right up to when the appeal is heard. I don't know how this works as in my case they have refused to do so. They have even refused to pay anything from when the claim went in until the decision - I got 9 points. My case is ESA (Contributions) They have said that if the appeal did go my way they would backdate it to when I applied. That may have something to do with that my appeal is against the points given - they don't reflect what was discussed. You may be able to appeal against being told you can't have ESA - complicated!!
    And claiming JSA - if you claim it, they will use it at the appeal hearing to show that you aren't ill and have signed that you are fit, able and ready to work at least 30 hours per week. uummm get out of that one!!!
    Good luck!
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options

If you mean you were on IS on the grounds of Incapacity you only need 10 points to pass.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    andyandflo wrote: »
    Hi, It seems that whilst appealing some people have still received ESA right up to when the appeal is heard. I don't know how this works as in my case they have refused to do so. They have even refused to pay anything from when the claim went in until the decision - I got 9 points. My case is ESA (Contributions) They have said that if the appeal did go my way they would backdate it to when I applied. That may have something to do with that my appeal is against the points given - they don't reflect what was discussed. You may be able to appeal against being told you can't have ESA - complicated!!
    And claiming JSA - if you claim it, they will use it at the appeal hearing to show that you aren't ill and have signed that you are fit, able and ready to work at least 30 hours per week. uummm get out of that one!!!
    Good luck!

If someone claims JSA whilst appealing an ESA decision it will not go against them at a tribunal. In fact it will not even be part of the appeal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure