Pushy credit card salesman - rules?

Options
Hi, hope I'm in the right place.

There has been a stand in my local shopping centre for some people selling credit cards recently. I've avoided them so far but yesterday they caught a friend off guard and he's the type of person who can't say no.

He told them repeatedly that he has no income and has no need or desire to sign up for credit. The guy kept telling him that this is how you build up credit and pushed really hard. My friend said he felt intimidated and like he couldn't get away unless he gave them his contact details. I was actually impressed that he got away with just that.

What are the rules on pushy sales, particularly for something like credit? The guy was repeatedly told this is not something he could afford but kept insisting it was needed, potentially getting my friend in trouble.

Does anyone know who is the best person to complain to?

I've advised my friend to ask them to remove his details from their system when they call and to ask for an address to complain to.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Complain the company providing the card.

They will then pick up with the sales company.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

What are the rules on pushy sales, particularly for something like credit?

The practical rule is simple. Say no and walk away. No such thing as 'can't say no'.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Options
    "Complain the company providing the card."

And the shopping centre?
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Push back. You have to learn to be unpleasant to peole like this.
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was this at an intu shopping centre?

If so, then it will be MBNA. I would complain to the lm and to their new owner Lloyds Banking Group!

I hate any sales like that even the people offering to file my nails!
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    There's a cooling off period if he gets a card he doesn't want.
  • clairesilverspar
    Options
    Thanks,
    It wasn't an intu, just my local small town shopping centre next to the market. I have contact details for the management company though - I didn't think of contacting them.
    I'll help my friend write a letter to the credit company.
    I understand that ultimately it is down to him to refuse but this salesperson was very pushy and followed my friend as he tried to walk away. He was giving him advice which I think was incorrect or could have gotten my friend into debt. He repeatedly told the man he had no income and couldn't afford the credit.

I understand the "no such thing as can't say no", but when you have serious anxiety and someone is pushing something on you and wont take no for an answer it is extremely intimidating. Some would say yes just to get away from him.

I'm concerned that he was telling my friend things that were incorrect, and offering bad financial advice.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He was giving him advice which I think was incorrect or could have gotten my friend into debt.

The only person who could get your friend into debt is your friend. No one forces people to spend on credit cards, if he hasn't signed up for one then there's no issue really.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Complain the company providing the card.

They will then pick up with the sales company.

Or alternatively they'll give the guy a bonus for persistence, after all, it's his job to get people who don't want one to take out a credit card. Anyone who really doesn't want one can either not engage in the first place or simply walk away.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Or alternatively they'll give the guy a bonus for persistence, after all, it's his job to get people who don't want one to take out a credit card.

Not so much these days. The few providers I know who use face to face are very quick to retrain or can sales companies if they feel they're crossing the line.

Obviously depends on whether a line was crossed or not, but it's an area the FCA are hot on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure