PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Thread gone AWOL

Options
2»

Comments

• Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hope they find it - great thread..

It’s almost like someone is intentionally sabotaging threads, weird that it never used to happen, then just started..... I hope as am wrong BTW

These threads are so useful x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The last time threads went missing I seem to recall there had been a bad bout of spam attacks.

We are certainly getting spam attacks again. Every morning for the last few days I've turned on of a morning and thought "There's been an overnight spammer by the look of it".

I am guessing MSE "ramp up the volume" so to say of whatever they are doing against these attacks and it accidentally "catches" threads we want to keep at the same time.

So we all complain - and MSE does another bit of tweaking and it stops until the next bout of spamming. Rinse and repeat.

That's my guess fwiw.

Thank you for this, I had not appreciated the bigger picture with regard to spam attacks, now that I am not in the world of work a lot of such things do rather pass over my head, even if I try not to become too insular:o:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680765
    I think this ^^^^ thread was kicked off by the 'auto-deletion' of the original 'what are you having for dinner' thread. Our 2nd one has just gone AWOL too.

There's some comments about other long-running, many-post threads.

And this - which explains why the thread has been deleted and also that it can't be reinstated:
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Firstly a huge thanks to zippychick for flagging the disappearing threads up to us :)

Secondly, don't worry, there isn't a technical reason for these long running threads being removed.

Simply put, the "spam button" was clicked on them enough times that they were automatically deleted.

In the two instances we're aware of we believe this was just down to forum members accidentally clicking the button. These things do happen sadly.

As zippychick explained, we very sadly can't reinstate the threads but it's best to look on the bright side - often a shiny brand new thread can give us a fresh start and help our motivation.

Thanks for your patience with this everyone, it really is appreciated.

Andrea :)
    YorksLass wrote: »
    Where has the Love Food Hate Waste thread started last year by the lovely JackieO gone? I can't find it anywhere. :( Or am I missing something?

And I'm sure my post count has gone down too!
    Yes, your post count will have gone down as the thread that you made a lot of posts on has been deleted. It's as though you never posted. :(
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Callie22 wrote: »
    If that's the case then the 'spam' button needs to be moved. It's way too easy to hit it by accident when scrolling through a thread and I'd imagine that a good proportion of the reports are accidental. If too many reports means a thread gets deleted with no hope of return than that puts pretty much all of the long threads at risk, many of which have a huge amount of great information in them. So, either move the button or make reporting spam a two stage process - for example the reporter has to type in a short explanation of their reason for reporting a post as spam before it's accepted. That would get rid of the accidental reports immediately.

I know you can "un-report" if you press the Spam button by accident but not everyone may realise that so agree with your suggestion. On the bright side, Jackie has kindly started another thread for us all, link below. :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5774545
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Onwards and upwards chums we will rise as the phoenix from the ashes of the old one :) please join in when you can

JackieO xx
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »
    I know you can "un-report" if you press the Spam button by accident but not everyone may realise that so agree with your suggestion. On the bright side, Jackie has kindly started another thread for us all, link below. :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5774545

The Spam and Thanks buttons need switching round. Far better to give an accidental thanks than an accidental report of spam :)
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback.

Yes, having checked who clicked the spam button these do seem entirely accidental.

I just wanted to post here to let you know we are aware and are taking action.

Thank you everyone!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories