Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Jul 17, 3:43 PM
    • 9,325Posts
    • 17,733Thanks
    zippychick
    Disappearing Threads and the like
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:43 PM
    Disappearing Threads and the like 17th Jul 17 at 3:43 PM
    Hi All

I wanted to post this as a new thread to ensure everyone was kept informed. A couple of very popular threads have been auto deleted by the system, and this has caused much frustration (understandably)

Having spoken to Andrea & the Forum team, it has been confirmed the team are investigating and reviewing the system (when it deletes threads like this). The team appreciate being made aware of instances like this so thank you all.

Some updates as provided by Andrea (who may comment as well)

* I am able to provide missing data or information from the missing threads, if someone can help me with keywords to find them. I have posted the most up to date weight list that I know of on the new weightloss thread.

* Sadly, myself or the Forum team aren't able to reinstate threads auto deleted in this way. The forum team have confirmed it's for legal reasons as we would be deemed as "publishing" the information, and would be liable for the content on the threads. I'm unable to comment on or discuss the teams stance on this. I first checked they were happy with the way I have explained this

* It may be a good idea for you between you to monitor large threads and consider starting a new one if a thread is getting quite large. This would ensure we are retaining as much information as possible, as we can link to the old ones. If anyone needs help with hyper links this old thread from Squeaky explains it fantastically

I really appreciate everyones understanding on this.

I'll leave this open for a short while and will close later on.

Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 1
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 9,325 Posts
    • 17,733 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    I've created a new Weightloss thread here
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 17th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 13,422 Posts
    • 36,573 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    It would be useful to know what caused these threads to be auto-deleted - in order to be able to take appropriate precautions to prevent this happening to any others.

I'm wondering whether it's some other factor besides the length of the thread that caused this - as there are some extremely long threads scattered over the board as a whole and it hasn't happened to them.
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 9,325 Posts
    • 17,733 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    That's something the team could discuss in more detail if appropriate. I just know how devastated folk are when data is lost, so the suggestion was simply precautionary

Zip

• tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 17th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 28,287 Thanks
    tessie bear
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    many thanks
    on the brink...
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 14,907 Thanks
    caronc
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    Thanks zippychick, to be on the safe side I'll start a new "Cooking for one" thread
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £63/£120
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 17th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    • 13,422 Posts
    • 36,573 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    Thanks zippychick, to be on the safe side I'll start a new "Cooking for one" thread
    Originally posted by caronc
    I was wondering whether we should do so caronc (with appropriate link to current thread of course) just in case.
    If there's "4 tendencies" type of people (Gretchen Rubin) = yep....Questioner type here
    - Meets an expectation only if they believe it's justified and resists anything arbitrary or ineffective
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 17th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    • 13,422 Posts
    • 36,573 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    Right - I've just nipped off to the longest-running thread on the whole Forum I can think of at the moment.

It's the "The 'have a look at this' thread II" on the housebuying sub-forum.

That thread has been going since 5 August 2011. Currently has 1094 pages. Currently has 21,869 posts.

I doubt either of the vanished threads are anything like as long-standing or with as many posts.

Hence there must be something more going on here than just a (reasonably long) thread being "lost by accident" I feel...
    • caronc
    • By caronc 17th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 14,907 Thanks
    caronc
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 8:12 PM
    I was wondering whether we should do so caronc (with appropriate link to current thread of course) just in case.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    It's done new thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680849
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £63/£120
    • karcher
    • By karcher 17th Jul 17, 9:13 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 10,574 Thanks
    karcher
    I still don't understand...

This thread: 5 O/S Pleasures in your Day Today, Part Two

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2039611

was started in 2009 and has over 38,000 posts yet is still up and running?

Sorry Zippy , I know you are doing your best to help and explain, and I appreciate that, but something doesn't quite add up and it is in my nature to question things I don't understand.

Apologies for being a pita, I know you are just the messenger x
    Last edited by karcher; 17-07-2017 at 9:16 PM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Jul 17, 11:39 PM
    • 23,158 Posts
    • 48,352 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Sorry Zippy , I know you are doing your best to help and explain, and I appreciate that, but something doesn't quite add up and it is in my nature to question things I don't understand.

Apologies for being a pita, I know you are just the messenger x
    Originally posted by karcher
    Honestly? Having a little knowledge of algorithms, I think there is a legitimate IT answer, it's just that those with the MSE pre-fix don't understand what it is yet!

Touch my bookworm thread, feel my wrath. As I say to our 2 year old when she rips up books for fun, they are to be respected and enjoyed. We are not The Taliban
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Floss
    • By Floss 18th Jul 17, 7:18 AM
    • 3,815 Posts
    • 30,295 Thanks
    Floss
    It may well be due to the volume of text including quotes etc... I would hazard a guess that some threads are made up of shorter posts than others, therefore the overall volume & server space required for users to view & post would vary.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 18th Jul 17, 7:59 AM
    • 13,422 Posts
    • 36,573 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It may well be due to the volume of text including quotes etc... I would hazard a guess that some threads are made up of shorter posts than others, therefore the overall volume & server space required for users to view & post would vary.
    Originally posted by Floss
    I would have thought that the "take a look at this" thread on the housebuying sub-forum would fall under that heading though??? - as many of the posts on there feature links people have given to houses for sale.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 18th Jul 17, 9:36 AM
    • 8,431 Posts
    • 20,641 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone!

Firstly a huge thanks to zippychick for flagging the disappearing threads up to us

Secondly, don't worry, there isn't a technical reason for these long running threads being removed.

Simply put, the "spam button" was clicked on them enough times that they were automatically deleted.

In the two instances we're aware of we believe this was just down to forum members accidentally clicking the button. These things do happen sadly.

As zippychick explained, we very sadly can't reinstate the threads but it's best to look on the bright side - often a shiny brand new thread can give us a fresh start and help our motivation.

Thanks for your patience with this everyone, it really is appreciated.

Andrea

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 18th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 9,325 Posts
    • 17,733 Thanks
    zippychick
    Secondly, don't worry, there isn't a technical reason for these long running threads being removed.

Simply put, the "spam button" was clicked on them enough times that they were automatically deleted.

In the two instances we're aware of we believe this was just down to forum members accidentally clicking the button. These things do happen sadly.
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Thanks Andrea, that's helpful to have it put so clearly (non technical)

Also, how has no one spotted (or commented) on my typo in the title?

Please if anyone does happen to see this happen again (before us Board Guides etc) please post in this thread thanks.

Zip

• By moneyistooshorttomention 18th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 13,422 Posts
    • 36,573 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Errrrm....I had - ie spotted the typo

But I was not mentioning it....

Spots them right, left and centre on the forum generally - but keeps quiet about it...
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 18th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 9,325 Posts
    • 17,733 Thanks
    zippychick
    Errrrm....I had - ie spotted the typo

But I was not mentioning it....

Spots them right, left and centre on the forum generally - but keeps quiet about it...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Oddly I procrastinated about the spelling for ages and promptly forgot to check it

I was watching TV yesterday and someone said "pacifically" instead of "specifically".I actually nearly fainted

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 18th Jul 17, 4:51 PM
    • 10,891 Posts
    • 151,077 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Thanks to ZIPPY and ANDREA for trying to sort out the problem and for setting new threads running in both cases of auto delete. Is it absolutely positive that the spam button is being accidentally pressed, is there any way of actually checking to see if it is systematic and deliberate and if so by whom? If that should be the case is there anything that could and can be done to prevent a further occurrence of deletion? many thanks in anticipation.

Is there a 'set' number of spam reports that set the auto deletion in motion and if there is what is that number? and would it be feasible to put a flag up mechanism on the longer running threads to indicate it's getting close to the number of spam reports needed on that thread for the auto delete to happen for the guides and a way of letting it be shown on the actual thread so people can be less careless and if they do accidentally hit the spam button promptly in spam again?

Sorry, being a pain and thinking of another question! I've been on these boards since 2011 and never seen this auto deletion happen before this, two in a couple of weeks seems an anomaly, a very odd occurrence when I'm not aware of it having happened in the previous 6 years of posting. I do only frequent a very few threads but to have two of those go in weeks of each other, isn't that just a bit too odd to be a coincidence?
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 18-07-2017 at 5:32 PM.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 18th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 36,811 Thanks
    monnagran
    I still feel very guilty. It is so easy when tapping on a tablet to dab the spam button when scrolling up or down and it has happened to me more than once. I immediately 'unreport' it but I suppose it still registers. If other people are doing the same perhaps that accounts for the spam reports triggering the auto cancel.
    Having said that, I have never read the "what are you cooking" thread. I'm not that organised. Also, I've only just joined the weight loss thread so perhaps it's not me.

Will go and take off the sackcloth.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 18th Jul 17, 11:40 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 18,466 Thanks
    JIL
    Thanks for the reply,
    Something odd is happening to the whole site. I sometimes read a thread and click into a new thread, from there I get the log in screen, even though I stay logged in whilst on the site. This has happened twice this evening in the space of fifteen minutes.
    Also I will thank a number of posts only for them to be "unthanked" or the thanks I have just clicked on removed.

Not sure this is linked but some strange goings on are certainly happening.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,874Posts Today

8,365Users online

Martin's Twitter