We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

If you were planting up pots now....

Options
maman
maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Hope you green fingered posters don't mind me picking your brains:).

Because of timing of holidays and a heavy workload my DH hasn't been able to plant up the patio pots this year. We have a number which have (last year's) compost in them but completely empty.

I have a few others which have perennials in them (hostas, rhododendrons etc).

Is there anything I could be planting now? What would you suggest for the empty pots (other than hiding them away ;))?

TIA

Comments

• Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am going to put pansies in where my Livingstone Daisies have been but not sure what to put in hanging baskets. Maybe violas and mini bulbs - its always nice to have something to look forward to.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I offer my opinion, we only plant up pots in the summer, we do not bother with winter plant because we are at work 5 days a week and during the winter months we go to work in the dark and come home in the dark so we do not see them. From what you say, you are the same. So I just plant bulbs now for March.
  • madjackslam
    Options
    Bulbs for the spring - try layers - crocus or iris reticulata on top, then daffodils, then tulips. You'll get waves of flowers at different times. You could plant pansies/primulas on top, mostly so that there is low-growing green, with occasional flowers, to look at rather than bare compost all winter.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the advice I'm going to take it all on board.

As I'm trying to do this by myself, I'll move the smaller pots to the side of the house out of sight and leave them empty.

The large ones which are far too heavy for me to move I'll go for the layering which sounds like a brilliant idea.

And I'm going to go for some primulas as well. I'm not a fan of the brightly coloured ones but if I can find the pale yellow primrose ones then I'll buy them.

Need to take a trip to the garden centre but I think I'll give it a miss over the Bank Holiday.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure