PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,876 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Budgets updated to here :)
    Good luck everyone for June.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • allmannerofthings
    Options
    I'd like to change my target please. Having spent a LOT more than target in May, which was my first attempt at the challenge (mainly because I had no idea of my usual spend), I've decided not to reduce quite as drastically. Could I change to £370 for June, please.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 31 May 2017 at 9:30AM
    Options
    I'd like to change my target please. Having spent a LOT more than target in May, which was my first attempt at the challenge (mainly because I had no idea of my usual spend), I've decided not to reduce quite as drastically. Could I change to £370 for June, please.

I just read your post over in May and I was wondering if you had read some of the tips at the beginning of each month - they date back some years but the advice remains sound. One of the suggestions is that you aim to reduce by around £50 a month so you don't get demoralised if you don't hit your target. It took me over three years to get mine down to 1/3rd of my starting amount and I confess I thought I knew best. Really reading and following other super-saver's tips is a great way to learn. Putting what you've learned into practice and sticking to it - now that's another skill set entirely.

Good luck with June
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • chocolatebum
    chocolatebum Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    back in for this month and its another 5 week month for me so setting my budget at £600 . this is for 8 people and a doggy plus toiletries etc.
    DEBT
    31/12/2018 = £21,740.10 - 31/12/2019 = £18,581.29 (14.53% PD)
    31/01/2020 - £18,685.22 (14.05% PD)
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    NSD again today :) Payday tomorrow :D

Just had good old beans on toast for lunch and one of my favourite meals for dinner... Samosa baked potatoes with homemade hummus. Honestly if you have never tried it and want something different for your baked spud, give it a go and I don't think you will be disappointed :) Recipe added to my thread (link in sig).

I now have a huge tub of homemade hummus, so I guess that's lunch for the next couple of days sorted :D
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I did my first June shop today. Technically still in May, but I'd already decided to postpone the shopping trip and therefore count it as June. Anyway, I spent £20.45 in total today, which was a mix between my aldililly weekly shop and my coopy ys shop.

I'm trying really hard to only but what I actually need, because honestly I coujd open a shop with what I have at home!! So, today was fresh stuff - no tins, no meat and no junk. I did buy squash, thinking we were low, only to get home and find it's now one of 8 bottles... :@

Getting there, very slowly, but getting there!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    June! Hello!

Ok, $900 turned out a bit ambitious, $1000 is easy now, so I'm going to split the difference and go for $950 this time around.

I thought my ultimate aim was around $200/week, so $800-$850, but I was talking to the one friend I have who actually achieves that, and...that's too far for me. Her family eats meat only once a week and it's something like chicken drumsticks, and there are nights where they just eat eggs on toast, and that's great and it works for them but if that's what it takes I'm just not going to get there. We do now have two vegetarian meals a week and at least one more which is very low meat, or tinned tuna, or something, and that feels like real progress.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please put me down for £120 this month thanks. For me June runs from 02/06 to 29/06.
  • oldstylepie
    Options
    New to all this - my month is starting today! Budget is £250

Going to have a good read through the thread later on.

Pie xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi everyone. Can I be put down for £80. It's for me and my daughter, on a part time basis, to cover most things, including take aways (wots that). The alcohol budget, is just for alcohol consumed at home, not nights out, I have a separate entertainment budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure