BT TV with no aerial?

Options
Hi

My Sky subscription ends on Thursday and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. I'm looking at taking BT TV however, we don't have an outdoor aerial.

Can we get away with an indoor one?

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2017 at 3:17PM
    Options
    How long is a piece of string?

We don't know where you live or where the your nearest TV transmitter is.

Why don't you use your Sky box for Freesat from Sky? That is probably the cheapest MSE way.

And or use Wolfbane or one or the many other TV signal predictors to find out the Freeview signals in your locality. And even then you may just actually have to just try it and see.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 October 2017 at 3:32PM
    Options

Depends how far you are from your local transmitter and whether there are any obstructions in the way that may reduce the signal strength, the greater the distance the less likely to be able to use an indoor aerial.

My local TV transmitter is slightly less than two miles away and is in direct line of sight, I have an aerial in my loft but still need an attenuator in the line otherwise the signal is so strong it overloads the TV input.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BT TV box has two inputs .
    One aerial for standard Freeview .
    Two Ethernet Internet connection for the BT TV non Freeview Channels and BT Sport .
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

My Sky subscription ends on Thursday and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. I'm looking at taking BT TV however, we don't have an outdoor aerial.

Have you already got got an internal aerial, and a TV with a 'freeview' tuner ?, if so , plug the aerial into the TV aerial socket and a do a rescan, or initial scan, if the TV detects the freeview channels , it's a fair bet that the BT Youview box will pick up the same broadcast channels, the channels delivered over the internet obviously don't care what type of aerial is being used
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Inner_Zone wrote: »

We don't know where you live or where the your nearest TV transmitter is.

Why don't you use your Sky box for Freesat from Sky? That is probably the cheapest MSE way.

And or use Wolfbane or one or the many other TV signal predictors to find out the Freeview signals in your locality. And even then you may just actually have to just try it and see.
    cajef wrote: »

Depends how far you are from your local transmitter and whether there are any obstructions in the way that may reduce the signal strength, the greater the distance the less likely to be able to use an indoor aerial.

My local TV transmitter is slightly less than two miles away and is in direct line of sight, I have an aerial in my loft but still need an attenuator in the line otherwise the signal is so strong it overloads the TV input.

Are you two related :D
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Are you two related :D

No and I posted 3 minutes earlier. :p
  • Haventgotaclue
    Options
    Thank you for the replies, we're going for it, even if we only get the internet channels it'll be fine until we can afford an aerial.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ummm... I'd think carefully about that before you do, if I were you.

A YouView is whats known as a hybrid platform, which means it uses two inputs and these are an aerial and an internet connection to fully work.
    Without one you will find you won't be able to access the ITV Hub and ALL4 on demand Players, as they are geographical in nature.

On sign up, BT actually ask a user "Do you have an aerial?" and if one says 'no' they won't sign you up.
  • fryster2006
    Options
    I was looking into BT broadband and internet, i think it gave an option to have an aerial installed for £60. Reason i was tenpted was price and the fact you can still pause and record with the youview box even if you dont subscribe. In the end we used BT as a bargaining tool with sky and virgin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure