MMD: Should you take the kids out of school for a holiday?

Options

Comments

• ladybird23
    Options
    Yes I would definitely take them out of school - with the schools permission of course. When my two were young we had to have holidays in May as OH had to have his holidays then - and we always had good weather!
  • tryingtoruletheworld
    Options
    I wouldn't even hesitate!

I very much doubt that 2 weeks out of the entire school year is going to render them totally incapable in any particular subject! Obviously this would be different with older kids, once GCSE's are on the horizon it is important not to mis anything, but for younger ones it can be a great learning experience. And I think the most important thing is that it may bring families closer together, giving them happy memories they will cherish for the rest of their lives.

If you work it out with the school before hand, they are often quite happy for them to complete some sort of project on the country they are visiting too.
  • pmj1812
    Options
    LuLan wrote: »
    ...Teachers plan projects and topics which consist of a process of objectives, in which learning is continuously built upon. ... The school day is already jam-packed, ...

Coming from a family of teachers, with experience from the 60s through to today, I feel safe in saying that our education system has never been more overburdened with topics, targets and key facts that children 'cannot live without'.

To succeed in life, sure we need qualifications, but far more we need school leavers to be inspired to continue learning, motivated work hard and keen to go places. If kids see that their parents have to comply with rigid (outdated?) rules that force them to accept second best when something wonderful is within their reach then they are getting the wrong message.

So we'll be seeing you at the departure lounge with two bright-eyed, enthusiastic little people...
  • angie34
    Options
    What is in this world that you have to be fined now to take your child out of school for there holidays some of us have no choice! Ive got to cover other people who take there holidays during the school hols and then ive to take mine when they are back after the school hols some of us do not have that chance to get to go on there holidays during school holidays.
  • phoebe03cat
    Options
    Too right pmj1812; we all have a moral duty to fight against any system that compells us to conform in such a blanket and controlling manner. The National C is doing a stirling job in determining which knowledge is 'worthwhile' and determining led patterns of thinking through exam 'rewards' and maintaining 'society' and its values without question...Imhochildren need to see that every aspect of their lives do not need to be controlled and pre determined by some external force/set of rules beyond their influence and control. Surely the individual (or in this case family) does always have a right to make decisions which they perceive to be in their children's best interest. Teach a child to question the rules and think outside the box and you are teaching them individual thought, independence and true education;more important than a week of the topic. Try re-reading 1984 on the plane journey, there are some very scarey parallels to todays non questioning conformers.
  • MrsE_2
    MrsE_2 Posts: 24,162 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've done it, but what I've done is booked a two week holiday over the half term week. So only one week off.
  • dianauni
    dianauni Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No, I wouldn't take them out of school. You don't have to go abroad to have a good holiday and Majorca will mean nothing to them.
  • stogiebear
    Options
    The kids are 8 and 10. They go on holiday.

What's more; if the school has a problem with that they can rearrange the term times around me. I won't kick up a fuss.

Schools are next to worthless anyway unless getting bullied, brainwashing kids and eating !!!!! food is part of the New Labour personal growth plan.

There's not a 'lesson' on the planet that is worth missing a holiday for when you are 8 and 10 years old.
  • blue_angel
    Options
    No, parents shouldn't take their children our of school for a cheap holiday. As others have said, there would be uproar if those working in schools did this - it is detrimental to a child's education. Two weeks in the sun/at a theme park/etc does not add to a child's education at all. We have too many children now who can tell you the best airlines and then not know where the Lake District is!

It is possible to go away cheaply in the UK - I have just spent the long weekend camping near Matlock for £21 per person plus food (which we'd have had to buy anyway... that's not an extra expense) We spent our days walking around the local area, and had a lovely time chatting amongst ourselves and spending quality time together.
  • stogiebear
    Options
    blue_angel wrote: »
    No, parents shouldn't take their children our of school for a cheap holiday.

Two weeks in the sun/at a theme park/etc does not add to a child's education at all.

We have too many children now who can tell you the best airlines and then not know where the Lake District is...

First point: Yes they should if they want to spend time with their kids. they are 8 and 10 years old, for goodness sake!

Point 2: That's kind of the point of a holiday, right? Duh!

Finally: The value of knowing the best airlines to use far outweighs knowing where some boring stagnant rivers are located.

Please tell me you are not a parent. If you are a parent please consider giving your kids up to a carer with a sense of humor and some real experience of life.

If you are a teacher stay away from my kids.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure