aspen woolf investments

Options
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5242064

Some of you may want to have a look at that thread on Aspen woolf investments and may feel inclined to express your opinions both in that thread and this one.

Apparently they have complained to mse about a comment I made and have asked for my personal details so they can follow up with me directly.

I'd be interested in others opinions of this firm as an investment opportunity
Left is never right but I always am.

Comments

• Onawingandaprayer
    Options
    noun
    1. a long pole used to propel a barge
    2. (informal) not touch with a bargepole, to refuse to have anything to do with
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wouldn't it be against MSE's own Privacy Policy if they passed your personal info to this company?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,279 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be against MSE's own Privacy Policy if they passed your personal info to this company?
    They will not do so without the permission of the user.
  • Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And said permission has not been given
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's now 2 threads about Aspen woolf student pod investment reviews that will appear on google. I'm sure it's not a scam but it's unregulated so very high chance of losing all your money.

I bet they'll probably regret starting to raise this with MSE.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    I'm sure it's not a scam but it's unregulated so very high chance of losing all your money.
    Just to play devil's advocate, it's worth saying that something does not have a "very high chance of losing all your money" simply because it's unregulated.

Regulated and unregulated investments are each available at many different levels of risk. So, if you're sure that something is "not a scam" then it is not the fact that it is unregulated that automatically gives you a very high chance of losing your money. In any investment opportunity, a high or low chance of losing your money is driven by the nature of the risks to which you are exposed.

As an example, I may feel the chance of losing a significant proportion of my capital over the next two years is lower when buying a house or lending £5k to my brother, than it is when investing in an OEIC which holds shares listed in Romania and Thailand, or in an investment company advised by a fund manager who buys me exposure to private businesses in Nigeria, Vietnam or Saudi. The former two opportunities do not involve any level of FCA regulation.

The problem with unregulated investments as distinct from regulated ones, is that the risks may not be as described, because the person promoting the opportunity is not following FCA regulations in doing so, and further down the line no ombudsman will care that you feel you were 'mis-sold'. When you are buying into, for example, a scheme to invest in a residential property unit, you have to conduct a high level of due diligence on what it is you are buying and the likelihood of the business plan succeeding. You may find that the cost of carrying out a satisfactory level of research and receiving any relevant legal advice is prohibitive when you are only investing small amounts. If you choose not to incur the time or expense involved to do your due diligence, you only have yourself to blame.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I personally would not touch an investment with this firm with a very long bargepole.

Nothing you said made me think this way
  • Mistermeaner
    Mistermeaner Posts: 2,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I advised mse I do not give permission to delete my post and also will not provide my name and address for them to give to aspen woolf

I've been told that unless I provide my personal details by 6th July that my original post will be deleted.

What does everyone think about this?

What does that make people think about aspen woolf?

Clearly aspen woolf read the forum, perhaps they could use this thread to explain to mse users and potential investors why they want want my post removed and why their products make such great investments. Then we can have an open debate instead of them hiding in the shadows.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ggb1979 wrote: »
    What does everyone think about this?

What does that make people think about aspen woolf?

I think it smacks of a company that have a lot to hide if they don't want any discussion of their investment opportunities and makes them appear to be dodgy even if they are not.

They might be able to delete one post but now everyone knows about it 10 more will pop up in its place and those now mention the name Aspen Woolf so will appear in Google even more prominently.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Q: "Who's afraid of the Aspen Woolf?"

A: MSE.... ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income