Help with tax evasion investigation.

Options

Comments

• quietriot
    Options
    It seems that The Kinks' songwriter lacked a basic understanding of marginal tax rates.
  • jp1964
    jp1964 Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I cannot understand why the person in question did not simply declare all their income and submit self employed accounts for this, depending on how much they earned, they would have been able to claim all expenses anyway.

Unless the figures supposedly given in the letter were correct, of course, as well as their earnings in the day job, that would be a fair amount of tax to pay.

I agree with James_B on this one, totally wrong to earn this and not declare it.

If they have evaded tax in this way, I hope they throw the book at them, it's the rest of us that end up having to fork out more tax because of people like this, the money has to come from somewhere.

Ditto the large corporations who manage to avoid tax, it screws the rest of us, our small companies are prevented from expansion because the tax we pay is so high.

At best, this person has been negligent and irresponsible.
    Making time for me now. Out with old habits and ideas, and open to change......:j
  • bluelass
    Options
    Just to confirm when my friend does first aider duties at events its cards in so all above board. However the DJing is very casual (so im told) which they say amounts a extra £400 or a bit more if lucky. My fried has responded to the letter and offered full cooperation, it would seem the vengeful ex thought the event work wasn't above board and many hundreds were going undeclared so they assumed they were going to cause major trouble for someone. A lot of plumbers and other trades people don't always declare putting in a extra bathroom suite etc and seem to have no comeback.
    Britain is great but Manchester is greater
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    quietriot wrote: »
    It seems that The Kinks' songwriter lacked a basic understanding of marginal tax rates.

But with interest and penalties?
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bluelass wrote: »
    A lot of plumbers and other trades people don't always declare putting in a extra bathroom suite etc and seem to have no comeback.

Which is no reason for your friend not to declare their extra income.

All it needs is one disgruntled client to inform HMRC of their suspicions that a tradesman has not declared all his income.......
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A lot of plumbers and other trades people don't always declare putting in a extra bathroom suite etc and seem to have no comeback.

Just because someone else does something illegal doesn't make it allowable for anyone else to do the same. That's the path towards anarchy!
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    However the DJing is very casual (so im told) which they say amounts a extra £400 or a bit more if lucky.

So it's all right to steal then, as long as you only steal a little?

Your friend might find that by the time they have submitted expenses associated with the DJing there is little or no tax to pay anyway. Better to just declare all earnings to HMRC rather than incur their wrath.
  • bluelass
    bluelass Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    So it's all right to steal then, as long as you only steal a little?

Your friend might find that by the time they have submitted expenses associated with the DJing there is little or no tax to pay anyway. Better to just declare all earnings to HMRC rather than incur their wrath.
    Pixie did I say its was ok to steal any amount? An extra £400 a month is an income but im pretty sure not much would be deducted from that amount.
    Britain is great but Manchester is greater
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    Pixie did I say its was ok to steal any amount? An extra £400 a month is an income but im pretty sure not much would be deducted from that amount.
    About £2000 over 18 months would be owed.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bantex wrote: »
    About £2000 over 18 months would be owed.

More if total taxable income was into the higher rate tax band.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure