Ask GP as one of mine wills witness

Hi

We are an unmarried partner and plan to get one of the GPs as wills' witness. I know NHS doctor is very busy. But, do you all think that as fine to ask them as our wills; witness?

Comments

• Unless they are personal friends of yours then expect them to charge for their time.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    You should ask the receptionist. They may offer it as a private patient (receptionist can tell you the fee), they definitely will not offer it on NHS time.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Can't you just ask a friend?
  • If they do it it will come with a charge. if you had the wills drawn up by a solicitor they will be the best people witness them, if they were not drawn up by a solisitor, tear them up and get a solisitor to do new ones, these are not documents you can afford to make mistakes with especially for unmarried couples.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 December 2017 at 5:22AM
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Since two people need to present to witness a will who are you planning to ask to join your GP?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It would be a lot easier to ask a couple of friends or a pair of neighbours if you know them well.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As said above if you have employed a local solicitor to prepare the will they will almost certainly offer to witness it for you in their office.[/FONT]
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Unless you are asking tgem because of concerns about the ability to give informed consent for medical reasons then I'm not sure they'll want to get involved. You can get anyone to witness your wills being signed, it doesbt hace to be a professional.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    A Will is not a complex document, most people simply get a random neighbour to witness if it they haven't got a friend they can ask.

In fact, it's very bizarre for somebody to even consider booking a Dr appointment to have them witness a Will. Most bizarre. "Nobody" would do that.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I read this and moved on but have come back to it because the more I think about it the more angry it makes me.

You should not use your GP as a witness to Your will unless you do it as a private patient and pay for a private appointment.

The NHS is abused by too many people and you are suggesting another way to abuse the system.

Pay a solicitor if you have no friends or work against colleagues who can do. My neighbour witnesses legal documents frequently, she is witnessing me signing not reading the document and I do the same for her.

Please don’t use your GP in this way!
  • Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    OP, you do know it is the signature that's being witnessed and not the contents of the will, don't you? Witnesses just have to see you sign the document. Neighbours/friends will be fine.
  • Our wills were witnessed by two of the solicitor's office staff.

As has been said before, don't use a DIY will kit if you are unwed partners.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure