Teenagers first holiday without parents

Options
My 17yo son is about to go on his first hol without us next month. He is meeting up with an American friend of his who is flying over and they are spending a week in London and York.

Accommodation is booked. Travel needs sorting. Any experiences they want to do, likely to book before they go, hopefully finding some discounts. Son has saved some money, but we are giving him some too (early 18th present). I'm a bit clueless to how much cash he'll actually need, they'll need to pay for most if not all meals.

Anything else he hasn't thought of?

Comments

• JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    My 17yo son is about to go on his first hol without us next month. He is meeting up with an American friend of his who is flying over and they are spending a week in London and York.

Accommodation is booked. Travel needs sorting. Any experiences they want to do, likely to book before they go, hopefully finding some discounts. Son has saved some money, but we are giving him some too (early 18th present). I'm a bit clueless to how much cash he'll actually need, they'll need to pay for most if not all meals.

As he's a young lad I am assuming he will be happy to eat in nandos, McDonald's, KFC, subway, etc. So I would say £15/20 a day should be enough for food.
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    Both London and York are expensive places and crowded.

I hope he will be very careful with his wallet and phone in both places.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He is meeting up with an American friend of his who is flying over and they are spending a week in London and York.

Has he met this friend face-to-face before? If not, what is the plan if they don't get on?
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Has he met this friend face-to-face before? If not, what is the plan if they don't get on?
    Yes he has, so have we.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Options
    Both London and York are expensive places and crowded.

I hope he will be very careful with his wallet and phone in both places.
    York is less than an hour from where we are, so any difficulties we'd be able to sort. I admit I'm more nervous about him being in London.
  • stormbreaker
    Options
    Search this board for London and York for ideas.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=80

If travelling to London by train have a look at the two for one discounts for London. If not traveling by train there are train tickets that can be bought for £3 that they can use to get the discount which is considerably more than the £3!

For travel within London the use of a contactless card for the underground is the way to go. There is a daily cap on what is spent.

Google is your friend.... google things like London for free to give them ideas that won't cost.

We are not long back from a weekend break with our adult sons. They both enjoyed to Tower of London (2 for 1 with train tickets). If they do this, they must go on the free tour within (not what you expect).

I wouldn't bother with the London eye.
  • stormbreaker
    Options
    York is less than an hour from where we are, so any difficulties we'd be able to sort. I admit I'm more nervous about him being in London.

My son went of on a lads holiday abroad at 17. I had to give him a letter to say his much less than mature 18yr old friend was his guardian:rotfl:

At least yours is within the same country and there is no language barrier. As a parent you will worry where ever he goes.

Remember to he will need ID to take advantage of any student/under 18 discounts :D
  • stormbreaker
    Options
    Quick search on the above board a here is the first freebie for York and indoors if the weather is pants!

http://www.nrm.org.uk/planavisit/visityork
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Condoms. Although he'll probably have thought of that already.
  • sarah69696pink
    Options
    I presume (although coulee be wrong) he will be wanting money for drinks and clubs etc at that age?
    I regularly went to London alone from age 15, although did not stay overnight until 17.
    I also went abroad with friends when 17. I admit my parents were very worried and not keen on me going but all worked out fine.
    Yes I let my hair down etc, however also learnt a lot of important life lessons about being independent and managing alone.
    He'll have a great time I'm sure.
    London and York are both expensive places as others have said - I'd encourage him to think about where he will go in these places and what he will do - there are lots of deals to be had and lots of student areas in these places so I'm sure he will be fine.
    In terms of how much money to take I'd be looking at more like £50 a day though as presumably he'll need 3xmeals plus drinks - he could easily spend more than that too - but on average think that would work as he could spend less somedays and more others. I think he would struggle with £15/20 a day. A Nando's alone with a drink is more like £12 so wouldn't leave him much for anything else. Id encourage them to think about food markets etc though and downloading some voucher codes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure