Is it a redundancy issue?

Options
2»

Comments

• MeMi_2
    MeMi_2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2018 at 10:31PM
    Options
    I think it will be worth working out/questioning where all this work is coming from.

new workload predictions,
    cutting down overtime for others
    cutting down the use of bank/contractors.
    cutting contractual hours

what will be the increase in FTE on the days shift is every one transfers.

how many have left and what recruitment attempts have there been in the last few months that shows the need for more staff.

What do the sample rota look like with all these new people.

How long before they need to make cuts if no one leaves.

You have made excellent points above and the first thing the union person asked me is where are all these new jobs suddenly coming from. We do not use bank or contract staff. People hardly ever leave our department so there is usually no vacancies across any shift. There is hardly any overtime on any of the shifts.

The work we do on all shifts has gradually been lessening due to computerized systems. The NHS strongly resists redundancy and likes to use the word 'disestablished' instead then force you into any unsuitable position while all the time hiring yet more middle managers and creating unnecessary positions. This matter is causing me great stress. In the end it seems that I will be out of a job with no redundancy payment to ease my financial burdens. I psychologically cannot deal with an employment tribunal.

I would have thought this was a straight forward redundancy situation but I think their plan is to avoid redundancy by putting us on other shifts then hoping some of us will leave or they can find other grounds for dismissal.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Get the day shift people on this as well.

Once you are all on the day shift their jobs will be at risk, they need to be alerted to this risk to their jobs.

Union should be all over this if the jobs don't really exist.
  • MeMi_2
    Options
    Get the day shift people on this as well.

Once you are all on the day shift their jobs will be at risk, they need to be alerted to this risk to their jobs.

Union should be all over this if the jobs don't really exist.

These are excellent suggestions. I will discuss these with the man from the union though he seems extremely laid back in a way I find a little concerning.

Overall, do you think I have a reasonably good case for pursuing redundancy?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    potentially but.

The consultation process is there to try to avoid the redundancy or the impact and they could justify the situation as it keeps people in jobs and gives time to redeploy.

short term they could justify quite easily, long term what happens if no one leaves or redeploys and it is clear the staffing levels are too high.

You can't take the jobs don't exist to a tribunal as a ground for not a suitable alternative, same job different hours with pay protection is clearly suitable in the general case.

I think your issue is that you are not in a position to just sit it out because of you issues with the hours you will want to leave.
    You may be able to try to make a case that these jobs are not a suitable alternative for you on those grounds might be worth a try they may fold for an easy way out.

Chances are those involved will have a greater resolve than you to not change their stance on this, especially if there is a no redundancy policy.

Union support essential.
    There is the 4weeks trial in redundancy situations that may be an option to test if you can cope(also highlight the problem to the team management) buys a little time to look for another job.
  • MeMi_2
    Options
    potentially but.

The consultation process is there to try to avoid the redundancy or the impact and they could justify the situation as it keeps people in jobs and gives time to redeployment.
    You may be able to try to make a case that these jobs are not a suitable alternative for you on those grounds might be worth a try they may fold for an easy way out.

Chances are those involved will have a greater resolve than you to not change their stance on this, especially if there is a no redundancy policy.

Union support essential.
    There is the 4weeks trial in redundancy situations that may be an option to test if you can cope(also highlight the problem to the team management) buys a little time to look for another job.

I feel quite defeated in this situation because it seems that I will be forced to take a position on the other shift that I will struggle with due to my mental health issues. I do not think they are likely to understand these issues. They will probably end up dismissing me within six months anyway because I know from experience that I massively struggle with daytime working over the long term and an environment with lots of activity and buzz especially as the months drag on.

In the end, I will also struggle massively financially as well. There probably will not be much work and I hate not being busy. I cannot say I thank them for finding me the other job because I do not actually want that other job. I went out of my way to find a job that I knew I could do without worsening my issues but it seems that and my contract means nothing. I think I will probably just leave in the end and live of my savings and maybe some housing benefits until I can get something else that is actually suitable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure