Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm sure you'll find a way to round up that OP KK - inspiration will strike!

Veggie restaurant sounds lovely - I think I'm right in thinking you're up north (relative to the South-East!) though?
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hiya, I'm sure I can squeeze some extra funds or save some groceries money for this month to move across.

Yes I'm Leicestershire way so east mids really. I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow however feeling a bit guilty that I have a free burger voucher for handmade burger that runs out end of the month that I should probably use. May have to venture to town during xmas & New year to spend it! :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 15 December 2016 at 5:07PM
    Options
    Just spoken with our housing developer as have received my water bill for the period 30/9- 23/11 and the water usage is showing as £59! Bearing in mind we moved in mid November so water usage will be minimal suggests something is amiss. We've been billed from 0 on 30/9 to an actual read but the agent thinks that the meter may be for one of the neighbours....I know we're liable from the date of exchange but £59 seems steep for what wil be max two weeks of living there!

Having issues with our elec & gas too as we switched suppliers as soon as we moved in; I've religiously been providing reads but thy are being rejected as they are lower than our change of supplier read. Grrrrrr I take photos of the meters so have proof of reads so will see what first utility do about it.

Back from meetings today where lunch was provided (yay!) and have a friend round for dinner so cooking soft shell tacos with chicken and veggies which should be yummy! Am currently sat with laptop on sorting work stuff out, cuppa in hand and the cat on my lap at the in laws, what a lovely afternoon :heartpuls:
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Pearla*Merle
    Options
    Happy birthday, Kitten! :bdaycake:
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy Birthday Kittenkirst! Have a great day!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    Options
    Thank you both :D x
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Happy birthday m'dear :)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    :beer:
    Hope you had a great birthday
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 18 December 2016 at 9:37AM
    Options
    Thank you all :) birthday was just fab!
    Treated myself to two new pretty tops whilst shopping; using gift vouchers of course! Then went off for lunch which was delicious. Also picked up a few bits & bobs from the pound shop for the Christmas season (white toblerone for me, toffifee for the gf). I got tempted to buy some fancy shampoo on 3 for 2 but they still worked out to be £14- gf had noticed her brand wasn't on offer but under closer check of the price label they were on offer and only £6 for 3 bottles!

The girlfriend planned birthday drinks in town which got predictably messy, but had to help her parents this morning in the shop and into our local town to get some bits & pieces (including the new fancy pizza express pizzas from Iceland for £2.50 which sound lovely and should stop dominos when we have people over) Now we've are chilling on the sofa before getting ready to go to a good friends for mince pies & a drink. We've made gift bags for each couple with little bits in them :)

I naughtily did the mortgage overpayment earlier than planned, the standard payment goes on the 20th so I was going to wait but we might as well have the benefit a bit earlier, so £89.80 sent to the mortgage.

Ohhhh and I won 500 nectar points from swiping at the petrol station- only £2.50 but it's £2.50 free!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 18 December 2016 at 8:22PM
    Options
    Lovely evening had last night with good friends. After Friday night I was a little more careful with the alcohol but ate my weight in cheese :D

We took round some chicken teriyaki lollipops from sainsburys that we pre cooked (YS), some ginger thins out of our big tin, a big bag of popcorn and some mince pies that we opened this week. I tried really hard not to overspend on fancy foods for the evening, and think we did well :D

Off to the gf's brothers family today for a Christmas meal; not sure what is on the menu but we need to gift wrap all of the nephews presents this morning and then start the long drive.

Going to wear one of the new tops bought on Friday- it's a fake shirt/jumper combo in a dove grey with a lovely lacy white collar :) it's very pretty but not too OTT plus it had 20% off.

Quick tidying up this morning; washing is on, dishwasher unloaded, floors sweeeped and rubbish/recycling all out. Quick cuppa before I finish the rest.
    Have lovely sundays all x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback