Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Options

Comments

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sorry you've been poorly - sounds horrid, but glad you had a silver lining as it were! That's an impressive weight loss!!

Hope the busy time at work isn't too stressful..

Take care

Brizzle x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear you've been poorly, although what a bonus side effect!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi everyone

Well work has been very busy has expected - it's one of our two busiest times of the year. I've had a couple of late nights at work and going straight to bed when I get in. Cough is still hanging around - it's really annoying me now - I wish it would disappear!:(

Spends in the week included more Pret soup, donating £10 to colleague who is off on charity walk and spending just under £16 lunchtime at another colleague's leaving drinks yesterday. I didn't really feel like standing in a pub but in the end I went as I had a lot of time for him workwise.

I did have a few NSD days including today, though I did have my monthly (budgeted) pedicure this morning which left me feeling nice and pampered!:)
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well done on the pampering...very important (I did the same yesterday, now have nice red nails :))

Have a great weekend
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Dear sis and her OH popped over today so we went out and had panini and a drink. Ended up spending £15. They are over the moon as they have been trying to adopt and finally after two and a half years they will bringing home their little boy next Monday. So I will have a little nephew! We are all really excited. They have had a tough past year for other reasons and I'm so happy that everything has worked out for them. :j

And.... whooo - I've got my debt free badge! :)
    🌟
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    So - it was the end of working month yesterday (which also was a NSD!):

Monthly Scores on the Scrimpy Doors!:

Negatives:
    • Holiday fund going into debit after Berlin and Windsor trips;
    • Had to buy new washing machine as old one went to the Big Launderette in the Sky;
    • Rotten cold and cough (which is still hanging around after over two weeks!).:(
    • AND - I came home to a letter from HMRC last night informing me that I had underpaid last year’s tax by £583! This was a deficit due to the fact that my medical insurance had increased that year but the firm didn’t take this into account! (it is classed as a benefit in kind so I pay tax on the amount). So I now have to pay it through PAYE over the next 12 months.:mad:
    !

Positives:
    • After I had paid off the rest of the holiday debt category, £59.31 went over to the emergency fund – which comprised of balances from Week 4 spends, Week 4 food/household, and 123 cashback/account interest. With the extra £320 I had in today’s pay packet this brought it down to a £3.68 debit so I have funded it with some of this month’s spends to bring it back to the full £4,000 post the new washing machine. With the allocated £1,000 from this month’s salary the emergency fund now stands at £5,000 – which is half way to my £10,000 goal!!!:j
    • Joining the October NSD Turtles thread which has made me focus more;
    • Saving some money on subscribing to Times instead of buying paper each day (thank you Sun Addict!);
    • Having the safety of an emergency fund so that when the said washing machine did blow up the cash for the cost of the new one was already in my account if I had chosen to fund it from there;
    • Finally setting up categories in YNAB for next month in respect of clothes and toiletries/make up – all essentials for me which I should have done ages ago;
    • Getting two for one cinema tickets for a year through comparethemarket.com when renewing my contents insurance. Also got 16% cashback via quidco on my travel insurance.
    • Opening Regular Esaver account at 3% for a year - funding this with £200 per month.
    • Among Non-fiscal positives was the lovely day out with family on Thames Rib Ride, my fantastic breaks in Berlin and Windsor – and of course the wonderful news about my new little nephew!!!

Today I bought a new lipstick in M&S - I had a 20% off coupon so only cost me £8 - the colour and texture looked and felt very much like my usual £15.50 Mac version so I thought I would try and downsize a brand! If I like it I'll keep to it! Also bought some opaque knee highs for under trousers - three packs came to £9 but I had £10 worth of loyalty vouchers - bought some Xmas gift tags with the other £1. Also bought a British Legion poppy brooch - £15 but I always support Poppy Day and I'm forever losing the regular poppies!
    🌟
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    And.... whooo - I've got my debt free badge! :)

:beer::j:j:T:beer:

Congratulations x
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thank you PM2 - I've only just got round to posting on the Debt Free Roll of Honour so it's lovely to see it shining there on the left after being in various stages of debt for the good part of my working life!

One badge I would like is the coat hanger with trousers - the retired early badge1 But I cant see that happening yet!:D
    🌟
  • crunch_time
    crunch_time Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    Options
    So - it was the end of working month yesterday (which also was a NSD!):

Monthly Scores on the Scrimpy Doors!:

Negatives:
    • Holiday fund going into debit after Berlin and Windsor trips;
    • Had to buy new washing machine as old one went to the Big Launderette in the Sky;
    • Rotten cold and cough (which is still hanging around after over two weeks!).:(
    • AND - I came home to a letter from HMRC last night informing me that I had underpaid last year’s tax by £583! This was a deficit due to the fact that my medical insurance had increased that year but the firm didn’t take this into account! (it is classed as a benefit in kind so I pay tax on the amount). So I now have to pay it through PAYE over the next 12 months.:mad:
    !

Positives:
    • After I had paid off the rest of the holiday debt category, £59.31 went over to the emergency fund – which comprised of balances from Week 4 spends, Week 4 food/household, and 123 cashback/account interest. With the extra £320 I had in today’s pay packet this brought it down to a £3.68 debit so I have funded it with some of this month’s spends to bring it back to the full £4,000 post the new washing machine. With the allocated £1,000 from this month’s salary the emergency fund now stands at £5,000 – which is half way to my £10,000 goal!!!:j
    • Joining the October NSD Turtles thread which has made me focus more;
    • Saving some money on subscribing to Times instead of buying paper each day (thank you Sun Addict!);
    • Having the safety of an emergency fund so that when the said washing machine did blow up the cash for the cost of the new one was already in my account if I had chosen to fund it from there;
    • Finally setting up categories in YNAB for next month in respect of clothes and toiletries/make up – all essentials for me which I should have done ages ago;
    • Getting two for one cinema tickets for a year through comparethemarket.com when renewing my contents insurance. Also got 16% cashback via quidco on my travel insurance.
    • Opening Regular Esaver account at 3% for a year - funding this with £200 per month.
    • Among Non-fiscal positives was the lovely day out with family on Thames Rib Ride, my fantastic breaks in Berlin and Windsor – and of course the wonderful news about my new little nephew!!!

I love this way of looking at things. I'm going to start thinking of each month like this - positives and negatives and things I am grateful for. It puts the whole thing into perspective!

Thank you
    Crunchyxx
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can get better deals on water filters [ I know it's a bit late] from Arg*s or similar on the net. I had a years worth from @mazon for about 25 quid, branded, but special offer, they seem to have dropped in price again lately.
    Shops do have 3 universal types that should fit, like W!lkos etc.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback