Help - retriever refusing to get out of water!

Options
2»

Comments

• rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    Rusty was a total beach bum and used to go mad, when we took him to the beach. We only lived 15 minutes away from one, so he was always there, even on Christmas day ( That was his present !).

I was on Red wharf bay in Anglesey one spring day and he was past my wellie height in the water and refused to come back in. He knew I couldn't get him and he just stood there smugly watching me get stressed and people laughing at me, so I know how you feel.

He used to jump into the canal near were we lived and refused to come out, he wanted to chase the ducks with their chicks ! He came out green and stinking !

He refused however to use a paddling pool, he freaked out when I lifted him into one I bought, he just thought it was a HUGE water bowl for him.

OP If the dog has got it in him, he will want to be in the water all the time and apart from not taking him near water, there is not much you can do. Only thing I did on the beach one time was tie a clothes line to his collar, as he was getting old and I was worried he might drown through exhaustion with swimming. At least I would be able to drag him inshore, if he got in difficulties.

Maybe worth a try.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport