House blacklisted help

Options
Hiya,

My boyfriend recently went to get his first phone contract in his name - he's 19 and has never had a loan/debt/credit card/overdraft or anything so essentially he has no credit rating whatsoever. He got declined for a contract and the man at the shop said his house could be blacklisted which is effecting his score. This is very possible as multiple members of his household have had debt problems. Will changing his address on everything to my address which is definitely not blacklisted help this? He stays here a large part of the week anyway. I have no idea how to help him start getting a good credit rating so any advice is much appreciated especially as we want to buy a house next year!

Thanks!

Comments

• ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Credit ratings are linked to people not addresses.

He should check his credit record online and make sure it's accurate. Worst case, someone may have taken out credit in his name.

Then apply for a credit builder credit card, use it each month to buy things you'd buy anyway and pay it off each month IN FULL.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Credit ratings arent seen by anyone eg lenders etc.

Has he signed up to all 3 credit ref agencies ?

Does he have a bank account ?

Does he work ?

Ill tell you now the house isnt blacklisted, thats a myth.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You cannot blacklist a house. Or a person for that matter. They don't exist.

Much like credit scores which are also made up.

Changing the address won't help as he won't be registered on the ER at your address.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have no idea how to help him start getting a good credit rating so any advice is much appreciated especially as we want to buy a house next year!
    Thanks!

I think you may have to curtail your ambitions somewhat for the time being.

If you/he cannot even obtain a mobile contract, then a mortgage is out of the question.

It is most likely a lack of credit history that is the problem, maybe try a sim only contract first, then work up to a contract.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    What does the man in the shop know? He!!!8217;s just taking a guess with no facts whatsoever as far as I can see.
  • Caitlinelle22
    Options
    He works full time - has been employed by same company for 3 years now. He has a bank account with Lloyds, has a help to buy isa - he doesn't want to
    Apply for a credit card and then get rejected and that affect his rating/score. I never had problems getting my first phone contact and credit card and I was in pretty much the same position so I don't get why he is
  • Caitlinelle22
    Options
    I don't think he's on the electoral roll will this count?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I don't think he's on the electoral roll will this count?

yes it will count against him.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    There!!!8217;s no rating or score to be affected.

All that will appear is a search on his files.

He will need to be in the ER
  • sargeantsalt
    Options
    If he changes his address to your address, everything about his old address will be linked to your address as well.

He most likely does have a credit file if he has a bank account.

He could get a pay as you go phone with cheap monthly bundles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure