PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Smoking Kenwood Chef! - its Dead!!!

Options
Picked up a Kenwood Chef yestersay and all was working fine at the persons house. I got a A901 for £25 - bargin what I thought... then I went to use it today to make some bread on setting 1 and then thing started smoking after a minute or two, quick action to turn th dam thing off and open all windows before I set off the smoke alarms! - please tell me this isn't normal!

Help

Mike

Comments

• rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Might be just the rubber band slipping or (worse) could be the motor windings (terminal).

iF IT'S DEF A RUBBERY SMELL THEN YOUR ok.

iF THE MIX WAS TOO THICK IT WOULD STOP THE BLADES ROTATING AND THE MOTOR WOULD CONTINUE TO SPIN MELTING THE RUBBER BAND AS IT DOES SO.

eASY TO PURCHASE AND FIT YOURSELF.

jUST TAKE THE BOTTOM OFF AND THE NEW BELT SHOULD JUST PUSH ON.

make sure it's unplugged!!
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • xlt_hunter
    Options
    Yes smell rubbery and not popping electrics :D

It was a dough mix for some bread wouldn't say it was thick but good dough :),

I will let it cool down and try again later without a mix and see what happens then
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the same problem, except I was making pastry. But mine is fine now - I just let it cool down, and it still works ok.
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • xlt_hunter
    Options
    Update - its dead! - one of the Capacitors - rated 0.047uF on the motor has blown apart!

Great - I need to source a new Capacitor now but finding one is a dam mine field.!
  • albertross_2
    albertross_2 Posts: 8,932 Forumite
    Options
    Ever get the feeling you are wasting your time? :rolleyes:
  • Addiscomber
    Addiscomber Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can find an authorised repairer through this page
    http://www.kenwoodservice.co.uk/agents/agent-locator.htm

In your shoes I would take it an authorised repairer and have it properly serviced. You should end up with a still reasonably priced, good solid A901 Chef for less than one of the current models.
  • skinnygirlnot
    Options
    Can anyone advise me please. I bought a 901 on ebay in January and have used it a few times to make cakes.

Last week I used it to make white bread and it was fantastic.However this morning I used it to make wholemeal (half white actually) and it started to struggle. Before I could get to it all this smoke came billowing out and the machine stopped working with a bang! I switched the plug off ( and had a little weep as I love my Kenwood and can't afford another:cry: ). Anyway, later on I switched it back on and it worked.I did switch it off straight away though.

My question is: does that mean it's ok to use as it had just overheated (wishful thinking)?
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    What did you do?
  • skinnygirlnot
    Options
    Bump.
    Please, anyone?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That sounds similar to the problem a few posts up. I'd take the bottom off (when unplugged) and have a look.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • malamala
    malamala Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Skinny,

I had the same problem, smoke came out from my Kenwood Chef A901, but I could still turn it on afterwards.

After doing some research on the net, my husband took it apart and found it was really the two capacitors that burnt and thus smoke came out.

We replaced the two capacitors (0.15uF and 0.47uF) and they should work fine (though mine still is not right yet because the switch inside just snapped off so need replacing).

HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport