Puppy Pain

I purchased a puppy from a breeder and paid for it in full. We had a verbal contract as well as text but no paper was signed.

That breeder has now let me down and has refused me a puppy. They say they intend to refund me.

Has the breeder broken their contract with me?
You can imagine the expenditure as well as puppy price: collars, leads, bowls, bed, bedding, crate, toys etc as well as a fully paid for training course for seven weeks. Also this has caused a lot of distress. Can I take them to the small claims court?

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    When you say 'refused' did they deem you unsuitable or give another reason?

Can you get another puppy?

When was the puppy due to be handed over? Did you seriously book a 7 week course and pay in full....
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You are entitled to a refund for what you paid for the puppy. The other items you can use when you do get a puppy.
  • Samantha99
    Samantha99 Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Another reason was given. Classes don't start for a couple of months but it's important to book early
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Samantha99 wrote: »
    I purchased a puppy from a breeder and paid for it in full. We had a verbal contract as well as text but no paper was signed.

That breeder has now let me down and has refused me a puppy. They say they intend to refund me.

Has the breeder broken their contract with me?
    You can imagine the expenditure as well as puppy price: collars, leads, bowls, bed, bedding, crate, toys etc as well as a fully paid for training course for seven weeks. Also this has caused a lot of distress. Can I take them to the small claims court?

Did you purchase a specific puppy (e.g. one that you saw) or just a puppy of breed x?

And what was their reason for now refusing to supply it?
  • Samantha99
    They said they'd decided to keep it. But I wasn't offered an alternative.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

And was it a specific puppy e.g. one you had seen?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    A puppy like any other livestock is just goods in the end like anything else for sale.

It looks to me like the contract was formed and finalised so to me they have breached the contract.

The courts can uphold the contract and make them hand over the puppy if he still has it in the timescale it would take to get to court. Or you could buy another from a different breeder and sue for loss of bargain if there is a significant price difference after you have done your due diligence and mitigated the loss.

The other item including the training course could be seen as a consequential loss but again you would need to mitigate this loss by getting a refund (if the option is available) or selling them for the best price you can get for them.

But in theory there is a very good chance you would win, the fact he accepted the asking price and it is confirmed by text make any claim pretty good.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    you are only entitled to the cost of the puppy refunded.

why book course so early as you cannot take puppy out until it is about 11/12 weeks, so from time of getting puppy at 8 weeks then you should book course then.
  • Samantha99
    Yes it was a specific puppy.

The course doesn't start till September. I am a seasoned dog owner
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Yes it was a specific puppy.

The course doesn't start till September. I am a seasoned dog owner
    I would still not book a course until i had the puppy
This discussion has been closed.