Not Paying Your Water Bill

Options

Comments

• samsmoot
    samsmoot Posts: 736 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    He is back.

You are wasting your time with samsmoot on anything to do with water charges.

If you delve into his previous posts, he experienced a problem with a water company and thus wrote scores(hundreds?) of posts attempting to advise(badly) people how to avoid paying legitimate bills.

He is fully aware of the financing structure of the water companies, and that any such avoidance and/or legal expenses incurred simply mean that the losses/expenses are paid for by other customers in higher charges - the water companies suffer no loss of profit.

Yet he just continues with his stupid vendetta.

Cardew! How ya doing me old China?!

Yes mate, the vendetta continues. They are still up to their old tricks - stealing money off the poor with the DWP's connivance, and I'm still helping to stop that in any way I can. But I won't bore you. As long as they do bad I have it in for them, and this is just a part of it - telling people what the law says.

Anyway, kinda nice to see you again
  • samsmoot
    edited 8 February 2015 at 10:27PM
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    ...avoidance and/or legal expenses incurred simply mean that the losses/expenses are paid for by other customers in higher charges - the water companies suffer no loss of profit.

Interesting to me, that, especially as I'm sure it's not the first time you've said it. If there is no loss by the water company due to non-payment of water charges then they don't have a legal basis for a claim for damages for loss, do they? They would be in the same financial position whether a customer paid or not.

I'm helping defend a water claim at the moment so this may be useful knowledge. They haven't actually provided the legal basis for their claim and so it's been asked to be struck out. That's unlikely but at least they'll be made to identify the legal ground upon which their claim is supposed to be based. If they continue to claim loss they will be lying, won't they Cardew?
  • Armorica
    Armorica Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    samsmoot wrote: »
    Interesting to me, that, especially as I'm sure it's not the first time you've said it. If there is no loss by the water company due to non-payment of water charges then they don't have a legal basis for a claim for damages for loss, do they? They would be in the same financial position whether a customer paid or not.

I'm helping defend a water claim at the moment so this may be useful knowledge. They haven't actually provided the legal basis for their claim and so it's been asked to be struck out. That's unlikely but at least they'll be made to identify the legal ground upon which their claim is supposed to be based on. If they continue to claim loss they will be lying, won't they Cardew?

They supply a service to your property -_-

If you don't like it, then cut your property off from the mains and live off rainwater than lands on your property and deal with your own sewerage...
  • NICHOLAS_2
    NICHOLAS_2 Posts: 613 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2015 at 12:06AM
    Options
    Armorica wrote: »

If you don't like it, then cut your property off from the mains and live off rainwater than lands on your property and deal with your own sewerage...

This is another thing that gets me with Water, they can't cut you off :D it's not legal.

I guess they would come and fit a water meter, which as a single person, would probably be cheaper... although i spend too long in the shower.

I am inclined to agree with SAM in the sense that currently, they do not know who i am or who lives here. Any letters they send are to the 'legal occupier' that's technically, pedantically, not my name...

My main concern would be that if i moved out of here the owner of the place, a family / friend, would end up becoming liable for the bill.

In rip off Britain i don't mind ripping companies off.

If water companies are anything like energy companies, which they probably are, they'll be making obscene profits with disregard for those in poverty who can't afford it.

I can afford it but part of me wants to stick my two fingers up at the system like i did to British gas.
  • NICHOLAS_2
    Options
    Armorica wrote: »

Hmmm.. i think it would be easier to tell them to fit a water meter so that you pay for what you use instead of a set price.

But i wonder if there is a set charge you have to pay for having the meter in addition to the usage?

Plus, these meters are quite bulky looking and i have seen them fitted in peoples kitchen and they look horrid in the kitchen cupboard.
  • samsmoot
    edited 12 February 2015 at 2:52PM
    Options
    NICHOLAS wrote: »

My main concern would be that if i moved out of here the owner of the place, a family / friend, would end up becoming liable for the bill.

That's possible. The owner could pass on your details or you could agree to pay them back if it's chased up. Nobody is liable until a bill is issued so it should be able to be sorted as and when.

Water companies can differ drastically in enforcing payment. Severn Trent are very pro-active. South Staffs not so much - and yours may be likewise with a bit of luck.
  • samsmoot
    edited 12 February 2015 at 4:39AM
    Options

If water companies are anything like energy companies, which they probably are, they'll be making obscene profits with disregard for those in poverty who can't afford it.

They are. But what's really exasperating is how the DWP regularly make unlawful decisions in favour of the water companies when applying deductions from benefit.

Things have now become a little clearer to me as to why this is, but this understanding throws up more questions, and further frustration:

The DWP has apparently stated that amongst its aims lies an intention to see benefit claimants meet their social and financial obligations - whereas the Regulations require deductions to be in the claimant's interest, amongst other things;

As meeting one's financial obligations may not always be in your best interests, as a benefit claimant you might expect the law to take precedence over this DWP 'philosophy', but the reverse is true.

The Third Party Deduction Scheme, as it is known, is supposed to be a last resort measure and protection for those who cannot budget for their bills, whereas in actuality it is a publicly funded debt collection scheme for the water companies. The scheme is made to operate against the best interests of claimants, often with complete disregard of the legislation and guidelines, and is used as a tool for stealing money off the poor and vulnerable.

At least I now have an idea of why they seek to do what they do, but still don't get why they so blatantly and arrogantly act in defiance of the spirit and the letter of the law rather than in accordance with them in order to assert something not required by any legislation.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 12 February 2015 at 10:14AM
    Options

I can afford it but part of me wants to stick my two fingers up at the system like i did to British gas.

They do make huge profits, and are in a win/win situation.

However the win/win situation means that you proudly ripping off the water company, doesn't affect the company's profits as they are allowed to simply raise prices for all other customers to compensate.

Similarly if the companies were ordered by the Government to give free water to 'those in poverty' it wouldn't affect their profits. They run a system called 'water sure' that subsidises certain customers and the rest of their customers pay for that service in higher charges.

Nice to see your concern for 'those in poverty' though.

So carry on with your tactics - trolling or not - you are not alone in 'rip off Britain'.
  • NICHOLAS_2
    Options
    samsmoot wrote: »
    That's possible. The owner could pass on your details or you could agree to pay them back if it's chased up. Nobody is liable until a bill is issued so it should be able to be sorted as and when.

Water companies can differ drastically in enforcing payment. Severn Trent are very pro-active. South Staffs not so much - and yours may be likewise with a bit of luck.

I've just had a bill come from south staffs, addressed to the guy who lived here before.

What do you think will be the outcome then? I think the owner of the property will end up becoming liable for the bill which will mean i probably have to pay... Wont it.. unless i moved out and she got a new tenant in who then started paying the bill...

I'm probably going to be here for another year or so yet so i have plenty of time to think yet i guess... the bill is less than a grand so it wouldn't bankrupt me if i had to pay it... i would blag them into instalments though to ease the pain :D
  • Southend1
    Southend1 Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am flabbergasted by the logic that some people use to try to convince themselves that theft is ok!

If you don't like the rip off privatised utilities, write to your MP and vote accordingly in elections. But if you use water then pay for it or others, some of them probably less fortunate than yourself, will end up paying your bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure