This Duo's debt free journey

Options

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ouch to the aching but well done on the money saving travel!

As for overthinking - it's "the art of creating problems that don't really exist" isn't it - another one here who can be very bad for it too. All I can say is that from personal experience it can help to pull yourself up short and analyse whether the thing you're worrying about is really worth the worry - sometimes just that mindful act can help.

Possibly best to let things take their course with the friendships for DS bearing in mind your concerns about the language etc - in reality he IS going to pick up swear words I'm afraid, but I totally get and sympathise with you not wanting him mixing with folk who feel that casual racism is acceptable. Chances are over time he'll fall in with a group who are more "him" than those others, though.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nicnak its just the aching, its my own fault because I have been quite lazy over the last couple of weeks, I really want to build up more with my cycling and start going in to uni most days on my bike. I really suffer lately with my back and not sure how I can really improve it, I guess its something that just worsens with age.

Thank you EH, I really do need to work on myself and hopefully in turn I won't overthink so much because I will be more comfortable with myself. I know I need to let things be with DS, I will just gently nudge him if I feel that he needs it, I know if I try to push anything then it will likely make everything worse and I do want him to be comfortable with who he is and I want him to make up his own mind about people, I don't believe in protecting them too much as I think it just shields them away from things that they need to learn to deal with themselves and he already has one overprotective parent without adding me to the mix.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    I'm aching today too.

I'm looking into creating my own self belief journal to stop the analysing x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    I need to see this journal once its complete! I'm sure its going to really help you in lots of ways and you can also record your journey in there of becoming debt free.
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    I need to see this journal once its complete! I'm sure its going to really help you in lots of ways and you can also record your journey in there of becoming debt free.

I'll figure out how to post pics!

Starting afresh.

• DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    Total spends remaining until January has increased by £3 (amazon voucher) so now stands at £270.94, this will increase again as soon as I eventually get round to cashing out PA so will be around the £300 mark. I have roughly divided this up:

MOT: £50, if there is any work that needs doing then this is just going to have to either come out of my ISA or pop it on a CC and pay in full in January which will affect the overpayment I have planned for Januarys student finance.

Food: £100, this is going to be extremely tight for me, I think this month I will just manage to keep it under £100 so effectively slashing this in half is going to be extremely difficult for me, I think any further earnings from PA will go to the food pot.

Fuel: £55, this covers one more full tank. If I can keep my mileage below 100 miles per week then this will be completely doable, this should be quite easy as I will have 3 weeks off over Christmas. If I start to struggle then this will be the first thing I cut and I will just have to go without as much as I possibly can. My main use of the car is going to see family which I think I will make every other week to keep mileage down.

Christmas: £65, this is the amount I have in my amazon account and as previously mentioned I think I could keep it below this. Any extra amazon vouchers will make this slightly easier.

Other: £30 for treats or any other possible overspends. £10 of this will go towards our disney on ice day and £10 towards a night out with a friend for me (I know I should probably look at not going ahead with this but its the only treat I have put in for myself since I started back at uni and I really need it), the other £10 will be all I will have for parking at uni which should encourage me to cycle more as this is at most 4/5 days and I have around 8 weeks of uni left before we break up for Christmas.

Breaking it down this way is pretty scary and I have avoided doing it as much as possible. This could all go wrong, I'm hoping that I get the warm home discount come through this year, its the last year I will qualify for it but I've only managed to get it once as my energy company just doesn't have enough to give out. If this fails then I will have to rethink the above, I have approximately 40 days left on both gas and electric.
  • DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    Well DS hasn't had a very good night, looks like its no school for him today and probably the day being spent in bed. I really do hate seeing them poorly, I'm very lucky that it is a very rare thing. Today is definitely going to be spend free and will most likely be spent lurking here and obsessing over how I can pay my debts off quicker. I really should study.
  • ladymay
    ladymay Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi DFD,

I'm so glad I found your diary (subscribed), you're doing incredibly well!! :T:T:T

Sorry to hear the little one is poorly today, hope he gets well soon!
    2019 Aim: Save £10,000
    Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Well DS hasn't had a very good night, looks like its no school for him today and probably the day being spent in bed. I really do hate seeing them poorly, I'm very lucky that it is a very rare thing. Today is definitely going to be spend free and will most likely be spent lurking here and obsessing over how I can pay my debts off quicker. I really should study.

I'm having a similar day. Feeling sorry for myself on the couch. x

Starting afresh.

• DebtFreeDuo
    Options
    ladymay thank you for subscribing, he seems to be much better now after having a long lie in.

Nic I keep putting off studying and I know its going to catch up with me and I will do awful in my exams I just can't find the motivation. I don't think DS will be allowed back to school until Friday as he was sick although I don't think he has a bug or anything so I will use some time to try and catch up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure