New Boiler woes

Options
In December we had a new Worcester Bosch external heatslave 25/32 combi boiler fitted to our 3 bed semi to replace a 20 year old boiler. We took the opportunity to purchase a new boiler as we were having an extension built and the old boiler was beginning to go wrong.

We had 500 litres of oil delivered on 22nd December which was to my surprise all gone by the end of January.

We have the heating on for 2 hours in the morning along with the water. The heating is on again for about 4 hours each evening.

Having purchased a further 500 litres, I’m very upset to find most of that has gone within 2 weeks.

It seems we’re burning something like 100 litres of oil a week. Having used oil in this and our old house which was much larger for 5 years, I know 100 litres a week is a massive amount of oil. We would expect to use Just 1500 litres a years.

Has anyone else had an experience similar to this with Worcester bosch? I’m not too impressed with their customer service. They reluctantly booked us an engineer appointment for 5 weeks time. By which stage I’ll be at least another 500 litres down.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With a vented system with an insulated hot water tank, I found that our oil heating is more economical if I programme the boiler to produce hot water only at say 4am to 6am, with heating only coming on afterwards.

My reasoning for this is that the boiler has a limited output, and when asked to do two things at once, it's not 100% efficient at either job and keeps running for longer
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Could the oil be getting stolen? Leaking tank/pipe? Or incorrect quantity being delivered?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    dogshome wrote: »
    With a vented system with an insulated hot water tank, I found that our oil heating is more economical if I programme the boiler to produce hot water only at say 4am to 6am, with heating only coming on afterwards.

My reasoning for this is that the boiler has a limited output, and when asked to do two things at once, it's not 100% efficient at either job and keeps running for longer

according to the OP it's a combi, so only produces hot water when the tap is turned on rather than heating a tankful
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • elle_may
    Options
    Can you turn your hot water off when you have the heating on as this has priority in winter when you have both on. So you are always heating the same water and this is maybe costing more in oil. I think this is the boiler's way for W Bosch. I don't know if this is the way for the newer model's.
  • GaryK
    Options
    I!!!8217;m told the newer models have a smaller reserve chamber to provide hot water on demand but if you require sufficient water for showers/baths etc you have to heat the water separately. Not what I!!!8217;d expected.
  • GaryK
    Options
    My initial thoughts were of the oil being stolen so I’ve invested in a lock now. However since carefully monitoring the oil consumption, it’s clear we’re using a vast amount of oil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure