PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking A Gammon Joint in the Slow Cooker

Options

Comments

• annecr
    annecr Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Cooked a 2kilo peice of gammon in slow cooker, the taste was great but texture was dry, cut allright and didnt seem overcooked. Cooked it in Apple juice same as I do usually on hob but the meat tasted different. any ideas for next time please as I need to cook another for New Year.
    Tried the coke method but no one liked
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello, hope you had a lovely day yesterday, if I am doing gammon in slow cooker I set it in tinfoil, pour about a cup of boiling water over to seal it, wrap the tinfoil tightly round it trying to keep some of the water in the foil, then place the foiled gammon on layer of veg with minimal water put two hours on high then reduce to low for further two hours, or low for five hours altogether, any juices that leak onto the veg and water in the bottom make this into a lovely stock for lentil or pea soup.
    If its dry today, layer in roasting dish with slices of apple, or sprinkle with water and re-heat slowly, covered tightly with tinfoil.
    Every days a School day!
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did one in slow cooker with pineapple on top and juice from it with some hot water - about an inch, then popped it in the oven with a honey mustard and sugar glaze - was/is delicious andloads to freeze for sandwiches etc.
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi anne,

I cooked my gammon in the slow cooker on Christmas Eve. I find gammon is one meat that can become over cooked in the slow cooker . I put the gammon in, added boiling water, chunks of onion, carrots, celery, black peppercorns, a few cloves and a bay leaf. I cooked it for just over four hours then took it out, removed the skin, cut diamond shapes into the fat, smothered it in mustard and brown sugar, studded it with cloves and baked it in the oven for 45 minutes until the glaze was browned. The stock from cooking the gamon is delicious and is in the freezer for making lentil soup.

There's an earlier thread that may help:

Cooking A Gammon Joint in the Slow Cooker

I'll add this thread to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • david_hellier
    Options
    I find Gammon/bacon joints are best done in a pressure cooker. Produces a rich stock for pea soup and a tender joint that doesn't need an oven. Takes about 90min.
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Options
    I can't get away with doing it in the slowcooker myself, I do it on the hob and then roast off in the oven.

Delia has a great recipe if you're not keen on the coke. You soak overnight, then simmer in dry cider til its cooked. Then take it out, let it cool slightly, peel the skin off, mark the fat in a diamond pattern. Then sud each diasmond with a clove, cover in grainy mustard, and then soft brown sugar patted on top of the mustard. Roast for 20 mins to half an hour.

Its delicious!!

PGxx
  • voiceofreason
    Options
    Try a nice, creamy parsley sauce poured over it - nice way of rescuing a dry gammon! :)
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Dr Pepper works just as well!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• hotcookie101
    Options
    I have an unsmoked gammon joint (800g) that I got reduced in waitrose today, and was thinking of cooking it in the SC for sandwiches this week. Would obviously like it to be cooked earlyish so it can cool completely before going in the fridge. How long should I cook it for (and on high or medium) It is unsmoked so I presume I don't have to soak it, if I do, can do it tomorrow....
    thanks all :)
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    I stick mine on six hours high and use the nigella method of coke carrots onion and celery.
    I have never soaked it.... but that's cos I'm lazy :D
    Lovely :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills