BT complaints

Options
We've had an order for a new line ongoing since 31st March for a new block of flats. We, along with the rest of the block (including the developers who are waiting for a lift emergency phone) can get no satsifaction from BT who claim their contractors have not done the work, not finished the work, can't do the work etc etc.

We have now been given an estimated date for completion of 31st May (ie 2 months after ordering).

Now I know BT is a vast and faceless bureaucracy that doesn't care much about it's customers but how do I complain about this. When customer services refuse to put you through to anybody else, when there is no complaints department on the website, when there is no way of telling somehow just how wrong this all is, what is there left to do?

Has anybody else been in this position and how did you manage to not go insane?
Debt free (apart from mortgage)

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    A few months ago, the CEO of BT (Ben Verwaayen) said, during an interview on BBC Breakfast, that he regularly received e-mails direct from customers and was happy to do so.

I thought exactly what you just did when you read that first paragraph but made a note of the correct spelling of his name from the BBC caption, made the assumption that, if he was telling the truth, his e-mail address would be [EMAIL="ben.verwaayan@bt.com"]ben.verwaayen@bt.com[/EMAIL], and entered his detail in my e-mail address book.

Towards the end of March, I reached a 'too difficult to do' impasse with BT Broadband regarding something as ridiculous as registereing my e-mail address correctly on their systems and, having an intense dislike of having to spend 7.51p/minute calling their 0870 number to try to get them to correct an error entirely of their own making, decided to try the direct e-mail to the CEO approach.

I sent the first e-mail to him at 10:38am on 27/3/06 and sent my final, "Many thanks for sorting that out for me" e-mail to the person to whom Mr. Verwaayan had delegated the task 27 hours 15 minutes later at 14:53 on 28/3/06. Being old-fashioned and reasonably courteous, I copied that final e-mail to Mr. Verwaayen.

At 15:45 28/3/06, I received the below text in an e-mail direct from Mr. Verwaayen:
    :-))
    I expect you've got the idea by now ....................
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • debtfreelondon
    Options
    many thanks for that. i'll give it a go!!
  • hammy_the_hammer
    Options
    We've had an order for a new line ongoing since 31st March for a new block of flats. We, along with the rest of the block (including the developers who are waiting for a lift emergency phone) can get no satsifaction from BT who claim their contractors have not done the work, not finished the work, can't do the work etc etc.

We have now been given an estimated date for completion of 31st May (ie 2 months after ordering).

Now I know BT is a vast and faceless bureaucracy that doesn't care much about it's customers but how do I complain about this. When customer services refuse to put you through to anybody else, when there is no complaints department on the website, when there is no way of telling somehow just how wrong this all is, what is there left to do?

Has anybody else been in this position and how did you manage to not go insane?

possibly there's a reason they can't do the work until then ? that reason may be beyond their control. could it be wayleaves ?
  • debtfreelondon
    Options
    You would think that should a job take that long there must be a reason why but it's obvious from speaking to customer services that they have no idea what is going on in the field. From the sub contractor lying about scaffolding impeding work to the sub contractor saying the cabling was finished and bt saying it wasn't to the complete utter chaos of BT customer services who don't have the authority to chase anything for you.

If I hear the words "that department doesn't have a customer focus" or "I can send an email to them" once more I think I'll snap!
  • grade15
    grade15 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    There is no point complaining to BT..what would they do? listen to your complaint and then sweep it under the carpet and its another day in the office! I made a complaint to BT..and at the end of the day..nothing happens and I just wasted my time and energy complaining with no end result..! I think you should only complain if you get a result from all it. (e.g refund or discount or credit)..but that is just my opinion./.
    smile everyday...cos its free :)
    Live everyday to the Full..cos there is no tomorrow:dance:
  • clark1982
    clark1982 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Options
    call customer services and ask to speak to your local provision of service unit (psu). These are the guys that deal directly with the engineering depts. the can give u an update. I think they recently changed the name of the psu to customer provision managment (CPM).. whats your postal town and i'll private you their number
    The views expressed on this website, be they in text, pictures or sound, are my own personal views. Not those of my employer, its staff or colleagues.
  • debtfreelondon
    Options
    Well, I sent the email at 8.20am this morning and had a reply back from Ben at 8.30am. There's service. He's going to speak to his "highest level" customer services people.

Least I have his attention now. Maybe something will get done.
  • debtfreelondon
    Options
    grade15 wrote:
    There is no point complaining to BT..what would they do? listen to your complaint and then sweep it under the carpet and its another day in the office! I made a complaint to BT..and at the end of the day..nothing happens and I just wasted my time and energy complaining with no end result..! I think you should only complain if you get a result from all it. (e.g refund or discount or credit)..but that is just my opinion./.

The trouble is that when you've not had a phone or internet for nearly 2 months you have to complain to somebody whether you get the response you want or not.
  • ooo000ooo
    ooo000ooo Posts: 577 Forumite
    Options
    Next time you phone get the persons name (always makes you pay a bit more attention when you know a customer is going to come back and torture you :)) ask them to go through the escalation procedure with you and then follow it. There's nowt worse than dealing with an angry customer who knows what they're talking about ;)
  • jackthelad_2
    Options

insane?

Why dont you believe what BT are telling you? What proof do you have that its their fault.NONE , another BT knocker.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure