PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hobbies/Crafts and MoneySaving ...

Options

Comments

• culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a bike,cycling can be cheap.We look on the internet for routes that are off road,then drive to them and go for a ride and picnic.
    We all read loads which we borrow from the library.
    I like knitting but dont do a lot as it makes my hands ache.
  • Bargainloverbec
    Options
    I do cardmaking, sewing, knitting and generally trying to find things round the house to recycle and make into other things! You do have to spend a little bit on materials to start off but most of the things I make are destined to be Christmas or birthday presents, and I sell enough cards to make it a self financing hobby.

Maybe I should try and pretend that ironing is actually a 'hobby' so I get on and do it rather than keep looking at it hoping it will go away....
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nice to see so many new faces on the ol'Style boards. Welcome

I'm a SAHD with three kidz so I'm busy, busy. Especially as we live and eat ol'Style. We live in a small village where my family has held sway with a couple of other local families for about 400 years so I'm on quite a few committees, groups, and boards of governers. I'm also a Church Steward and a member of Church Council. I also manage to fit in a bit of Stoozing, helping Mrs MATH with her card making business when things are busy and after the summer I plan a bit of book peddling on Amazon and vintage jewelery (Mrs MATH's previous hobby) floggin on ebay.I suppose quite a lot of that can be called hobby or just life. When I'm not doing that I have my real hobbies which i have very little time to fit in. These include: Beachcombing, Rambling (both verbal and on foot;) ). Reading (I take so many books out my local library sends me a birthday card). Choral singing, Playing the piano and organ (don't laugh! Not that organ:D ) and logging onto MSE to chat with all my Ol'Style friends or course.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • starlorna22
    starlorna22 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone, I've actually got a bike, so might dig it out if the sun comes back again . . .
    Also we've just booked to go camping for 3 nights in the Lake District in August (for my birthday) so that should be good too.
    I've been on the local college website, and I'm going to enrol on the Jewellery making course they've got, so hopefully I should be pretty busy.
    I would also like to get into sewing. Does anyone know the best way to learn this? I don't really have anyone who can teach me. Do you think this is something that can be learned from a book or picked up by practising, or do you think you'd need to learn it at college?
    Comping Challenge
    Win back your annual internet connection costs
    Goal - £132

Won so far
    Charles Worthington Dream Hair Kit £20
    10 Sets of Football stamps £5
    Ainsley Harriet Cookbook £20
    Months supply of Copella juice £12
    Another Cookbook - Not received it yet, so don't know what it is :confused
  • BWZN93
    BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I suppose it depends on what you want to sew really. Im doing a quilt at the moment, which even I am finding quite easy to do by hand, as it is a simple running stitch (- - - - - - -) to attach the bits together. I suppose for making clothes it would be more difficult, but I dont really know as Ive never tried (and id be scared it would fall apart walking around town - showing my bits off :eek: ).

When I first did the quilting thing, I just asked on here, went to a quilting shop (we have one here so im pretty lucky!) and went into waterstones and had a look at the quilting books, there were quite a few, and picked up a couple of ideas.

Charity shops are pretty good for oldstyle books too, our local oxfam second hand book shop has everything from cross stitch, sewing, quilting, clothes making etc, some are from the 1950's but some are quite recent too, and cheap! They also dont mind browsers too - I go in just to have a quick read and if I find what I want, I buy it. I got an excellent chocolate dessert book in there for about £2.00.

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Power walking (almost!) to keep fit, with a friend.

Reading to get to sleep-library books

Growing in-door and out-door plants from cuttings/seeds

Searching car boot sales, for bits of furniture to renovate

I'm also researching our family tree at the moment
    :j
  • misty
    misty Posts: 1,042 Forumite
    Options
    God, I feel like a right sloth. I've always been a bit low on the hobbies more on planning to do them. I just read alot and eat a lotof chocolate.

these are some I've considered doing but still not actually done - sewing (visions of new look to every room in house)
    quilting - (visions of Little House on the Prairie and little Women)
    Jewellery making (visions of silver loveliness)
    Making homemade body potions for gifts
    Homemade wine
    getting fit - yoga (more than just watching the video or going to v occasional class)
    swimming (not until I've lost weight)
    running(not until hell freezes over)
    diy (do some but get fed up part way through especially with the boring preperation)
    Not enough time in the day for me to think about all my potential new hobbies let alone actually do them.
  • Sweet_Pea_2
    Sweet_Pea_2 Posts: 691 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    Since lurking on Old Style for the past few months I have loads of hobby ideas I am dying to try but havent had the time. I broke up from work on Friday for six weeks as Im lucky enough to have a term time contract so Old Styling is my new hobby from now on, and Im taking my inspiration from all of you.
    I already have a slow cooker which is used regularly and a bread maker, which I am going to haul out from the back of the pantry and start to use again, and I want to have a go at pizza dough too. I've picked up some good recipe ideas from here, and Im going to make myself a nice recipe book of my favourite tried and tested recipes.
    After reading some of the gardening threads I became quite interested in this idea, Ive just grown some flowers for the garden for this year, but thanks to a post of Squeakys I dashed off to Wilkos for the half price seeds and Im going to prepare my vegetable patch in the garden ready for next year, so that looks like a new hobby too.
    I like sewing (by machine or hand) cross stitching and knitting, and I've usually got my nose in a book too.
    Ive promised my DD1 (aged 9) that I will give her some cooking lessons over the school holidays, and my DD2 (aged 6) got an award at school on the last day of term for her excellent sampler she made, so I think I'll do a bit of sewing with them both too. It amazes me how many people say that they cant cook and sew, but they have never tried. Id like to teach my two the basics whilst they are interested as I think they are dying skills in this day and age but very valuable ones.
    Im sure as I practice more Old Styling Ill pick up some other pretty useful hobbies too.
  • gigglebox
    gigglebox Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all :D

My hobbies include:-
    1. Gardening - growing plants from seeds & cuttings. Growing own fruit & veg.
    2. Walking - mainly to get fit & lose weight but in turn realising what wonderful country side i live in that i don't normally get to see sitting in a car. Seen some wonderful wildlife too....
    3. I am also doing my family tree.... very interesting hobby that is...
    4. Since joining MSE & all you lovely O/Sers making my own bread & jam in my newly acquired breadmaker.
    5. Also like reading........finished Harry Potter a couple of days ago
    6. And of course MSE, especially O/S and surfing the net.
  • blue-kat
    blue-kat Posts: 453 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know where hobbying stops and life begins. I spend my time...
    • trustee & webmaster for a local charity
    • we're moving next week and looking forward to having more room for arty/crafty stuff, sewing etc. once we've settled in
    • photography, currently gradually adding some of my pictures to flickr
    • healthy eating and weight loss, reading cookery books
    • home educating our 3 offspring ( 16, 13 and 9)
    • listening to hypnotherapy/relaxation CDs
    • doing online courses
    • easy gardening (no digging!)
    • regaining driving confidence ( any tips?)
    • getting bargains on ebay, and selling for space clearing and profit ;)
    • ...reading my favourite fora and blogs :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport