From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Not a NSD as I had to top up on milk and get DS2 sorted out with football boots. My lovely parents have offered to pay for the boots as part of his Christmas presents.

I have to confess that I saw and bought some boots marked down in a sale. They have memory foam in the sole and feel quite sculpted inside. I'd seen them back in September and thought they would be ideal for work as I'm on my feet for most of the day. Will move money around to cover the cost, but with 30% off it seemed a good bargain.

I made 2 different soups for tea tonight -lentil and bacon and carrot & coriander. I'd forgotten how filling homemade soup can be! Especially warming on a stormy night like tonight!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I made 2 different soups for tea tonight -lentil and bacon and carrot & coriander. I'd forgotten how filling homemade soup can be! Especially warming on a stormy night like tonight!

Yummy! I love soup with lentils in particular.

The boots sound too good to miss, especially with being on your feet so much. I generally wear running shoes at work (that sort of job) because they are so light and soft. It takes the ache out of hard floors! Not nearly as elegant as boots, of course. :D
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Looking forward to wearing the boots tomorrow when I go back to work. I'm hoping we can all adjust quickly to the early mornings.

NSD #2 today :)
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Boots were amazingly warm and comfortable. Definitely worth the £35 spend! We managed to get up and out the door this morning...hurray! I thought I was doing well, having remembered my homemade lentil and bacon soup and the saucepan with which to heat it only to realise halfway to work that I had forgotten to put the meat in the slow cooker for stew! Thankfully DD1 was at home to rescue the situation.

Tomorrow is her last day:( before going back to university. I'll miss her.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made leek and potato soup on Tuesday and we had it with crusty rolls. I never buy tinned soup - it’s much nicer when it’s homemade.

Glad your first day back to work went ok. It’s definitely a shock to the system but I must admit I do like the routine - and more controlled eating lol!
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Very true Louby on both counts! It is amazing how one's body gets used to breakfast at 7, lunch at 12.30 and evening meal at 6 ish.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Busy day yesterday as I took DD1 back to uni. I managed to change a
    Headlight bulb before setting off which I was pleased about. I'd bought the spare last week and looked up online to check how to do the job. Iam trying to do simple car maintenance jobs myself.

I'm thankful for a safe journey there and back. It is doable in a day but makes it a long day of driving. We called into the supermarket and I bought some food to start her off this term. DD4 was sad to say goodbye:(. Don't know if I'll be able to visit at half term yet but will try if possible. On Friday evening we spent time making lasagne and portioning it between silver foil trays so that they could be frozen as a ready meal.

This week needs to be a frugal week, as 2 lots of groceries and the diesel for yesterday , although budgeted for, have made a dent in the bank balance. DD2 made some flapjacks and banana bread while I was away yesterday so hopefully I'll just need to make the pasties for tea.
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    just popping in to say hi, hope your daughter has gone back off to uni ok. when is she back? I agree the boots were a good buy you'd have regretted it I'm sure :)
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Hi Storm, thanks for popping by:wave:

NSD #3 for me today (Sun), a relief after spending so much on Saturday! The pasties went down a treat. I came to the conclusion that while I'm happy to use Stork for cake making, I will go back to butter for pastry. I used Stork last time and had a complete disaster with the pasties. This time I went back to using butter and the pastry was much more pliable and easier to crimp and didn't fall apart when cooking...in other words it was a proper pasty!

I've got 4 loads of washing done today but have had to (reluctantly ) use the tumble dryer. In the last gales I had a little bit of washing on the line and the rotary dryer somehow bent and the pole snapped off at ground level. I have been trying to dry clothes on an airer but the volume of washing is too great and results in a backlog of damp clothes if I'm not careful. At least a few loads are washed and dried which is good.
  • Mumoffourkids
    Mumoffourkids Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is no way I would keep up with the washing if I didn't use the tumble dryer so I am sure your house is probably the same. In the spring and summer I dry on the washing line but there is just too much washing in the winter to not use the tumble dryer.

Glad dd1 went off to uni ok and your pasties sound lovely. I might make some cakes today while the small ones are napping!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback