Spoilt Cake

Options

Comments

• G4.
    G4. Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    We paid £500 and got: custom design, guaranteed allergy (treenjt and peanut) friendly, 4 tiers all different flavours (our tiers were all the same size due to design), transport in refrigerated van and 2 gluten free cupcakes.

That's fair enough. Got to cater for all the trendy allergies, etc nowadays, which is probably a lot of extra work for the caterer. I hope yours looked better than the OPs :rotfl:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    G4. wrote: »
    That's fair enough. Got to cater for all the trendy allergies, etc nowadays, which is probably a lot of extra work for the caterer. I hope yours looked better than the OPs :rotfl:
    You've clearly never seen anyone go into anaphylactic shock because they've been exposed to some foodstuff that they have a severe (trendy) allergy to.

Welcome to MSE, by the way.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 June 2017 at 12:00PM
    Options
    Seeing your two year old unable to breathe after administering two adrenaline shots and waiting for an ambulance is absolutely terrifying, if we weren't a stones throw from an open GP surgery who performed an emergency tracheostomy she would have died in the 15 minute wait for the ambulance.

We are a 100% nut free household, she came into contact with nuts when her grandmother held her hand after she had eaten peanuts earlier in the day, we later discovered she had been making light about her allergy, she didn't even change her ways after this, so she was no longer allowed near my daughter as she would lie about having eaten nuts etc!
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    G4. wrote: »
    Anyone who'd pay £900 for a flippin cake has got more money than sense!

(Speaking on a money saving website :D )

I dunno. £900 for a cake that's dessert for 200 folks and a piece of art into the bargain seems pretty reasonable to me! And some cakes are really beautiful (and those flowers - they're made out of sugar!). It depends on what matters to you. Sure, functional tasty cake costs a lot less, but there's a fair amount of time and skill in just getting from "tasty cake" to blank canvas, then however much time that goes into the decoration.. and they're not going to do that for minimum wage !
  • G4.
    G4. Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    Seeing your two year old unable to breathe after administering two adrenaline shots and waiting for an ambulance is absolutely terrifying, if we weren't a stones throw from an open GP surgery who performed an emergency tracheostomy she would have died in the 15 minute wait for the ambulance.

We are a 100% nut free household, she came into contact with nuts when her grandmother held her hand after she had eaten peanuts earlier in the day, we later discovered she had been making light about her allergy, she didn't even change her ways after this, so she was no longer allowed near my daughter as she would lie about having eaten nuts etc!

Do you know, I had a feeling you might have a dramatic story to add to the discussion.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    OK I get that people are saying that it's just a cake, just a single day etc etc. So what if the photos had turned out awful? Just accept that too?

OP, the cake was a disaster. I'd be after a full refund.
    Pants
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 June 2017 at 12:01PM
    Options
    Both myself and my cousin have anaphylactic reactions to our respective allergy nuts. I've got a nice tracheotomy scar from my first reaction (didn't know what was happening, I was 19 and out myself). Absolutely didn't want to attend A&E on my wedding day but thanks for assuming that I'm an idiot with a food intolerance. I assume you're ok with me thinking you're a crass pish head?

ETA men have allergies too btw
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    Both myself and my cousin have anaphylactic reactions to our respective allergy nuts. I've got a nice tracheotomy scar from my first reaction (didn't know what was happening, I was 19 and out myself). Absolutely didn't want to attend A&E on my wedding day but thanks for assuming that I'm an idiot with a food intolerance. I assume you're ok with me thinking you're a crass pish head?

ETA men have allergies too btw
    That poster has been PPRd.
    It was clear from his/her posts that it was a poster who had previously been PPRd and was specifically posting in a manner intended to cause trouble.

Pretty short life span. :D
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't have anything constructive to say beyond

a) chocolate goes soft in warm weather [it is probably forgiveable to contemplate chocolate as the weather in this country is not genrally remakred on for it's heat-wave potential]

b) raspberries are not known for their load bearing properties [this unfortunately is true in all countries. It's not known as a soft fruit for nothing]

I believe if the OP had an engineering background this mught have been obvious. However, judging from their posts, they sadly don't possess this education.

Plus I just wanted to post on the funniest [several] threads I have read in a while.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    Hahaha
    ridicuolus in the extreme.
    Let it go at the apology, don't take any money. Move on.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills