MSE News: Avios and BA to slash points earned on cheap economy flights

Options
"Avios collectors could earn a quarter of the points they do now on BA flights from April, but there are winners..."
Read the full story:

Avios and BA to slash points earned on cheap economy flights

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• makemdano
    Options
    One major change being applied after 28/4 is that connecting flights for short haul have to be paid for so it will now cost me 9000 points + cash just for the connecting flights to/from Heathrow, that's 18000 for the two of us!! Even with 42000 points we can't even make it to Sicily as we were hoping to.
  • MiraculousM
    Options
    The only reason I ever booked with BA in reality was because of the avios points. Now at least i can book Virgin and delta to the U.S. as I have no loyalty to BA if they are screwing me
  • makemdano
    Options
    My sentiments exactly. I'll just fly local flights and forget about connecting via Heathrow, stuff flying the flag and screw BA
  • ClaireyP
    Options
    Hi MSE Helen, do you have any info on whether this change from April will affect transferring AMEX points into Avios points? Thanks!
  • Ali_Baba
    Ali_Baba Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    In the past, I always booked with BA even if they were 50% more expensive than low-cost airlines and even if I had to use inconvenient non-direct routings. I used to insist on all my work trips to be booked with BA too. The reason being that the Tier points and Avios meant I could take my family away on holiday for very little money and I would have use of airport lounges in far flung places and during long layovers. BA silver/gold gave you access to some really nice lounges.

These changes mean I'm less likely to maintain silver/gold status - so no lounges - and I will earn far fewer avios so less holidays for the family.

So the sensible thing to do is burn all the points I've earned ASAP and in future fly on easyJet, Ryanair, Norwegian, Monarch etc. for less money. Then use the money I've saved to separately buy lounge access or better seats on future family holidays with the low-cost rivals to BA.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My main grievance on the changes is the removal of free connecting flights.

London is not the UK. BA used to have a big presence in Manchester, now it's shrinking month by month.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd different frequent flyer program now & never found any use for any of them.
    In the good old days of Airmiles I had loads & never used them. Then on a Continental flight from Birmingham they persuaded me to join their club & promptly stopped flying that route. The last few years we've flown Virgin from Manchester & collected the points, but they don't go where we're going this year so it's back to BA. I won't be joining Avios.
    I always decide where I'm going & how I'm getting there then look if any of our "loyalty" airlines do what I want. They rarely do. I'm not booking my holidays to suit some frequent flyer program.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I'm on my 3rd different frequent flyer program now & never found any use for any of them.
    In the good old days of Airmiles I had loads & never used them. Then on a Continental flight from Birmingham they persuaded me to join their club & promptly stopped flying that route. The last few years we've flown Virgin from Manchester & collected the points, but they don't go where we're going this year so it's back to BA. I won't be joining Avios.
    I always decide where I'm going & how I'm getting there then look if any of our "loyalty" airlines do what I want. They rarely do. I'm not booking my holidays to suit some frequent flyer program.

Then you must have amongst the most bizarre travel patterns on this planet! Where are you going that Virgin can't get you?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    Then you must have amongst the most bizarre travel patterns on this planet! Where are you going that Virgin can't get you?
    I go on holiday for an easy life, for a relaxing time. For the last several years it's been America, relaxing & easy going. To that end I make the journey as pleasant as possible, direct flights, front of the plane. That's what we like, it's not for everyone but it is for us.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    edited 31 January 2015 at 9:58PM
    Options
    callum9999 wrote: »
    Most of Europe ,Africa ,Asia and Australia and South and Central America

They are ok for USA though

Most of the above places can of course be reached with one of Virgins Partner airlines.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure